Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data slicer - Data hierarchy

I'm having issues when using dates in data slicers. I'm using using Power BI date hierarchy to obtain 'year' from a date and then use this value as a data slicer. This seemed to work perfectly fine till yesterday (06/02/2020) when the filter completly stopped working, despite there being no changes to the dataset or the report itself!  Strangely this seemes work perfectly fine on Desktop but when this same report is published; it seems to fail!

Anyone know whats happening? Bug in a new update? 

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tired all of this but wasn't succesful, thank you for helping though. @Tad17 

I've been told by someone from Power BI support that it was a bug in an update that they put out last week. (1st week of Feb 2020)

It has since being rolled back and that fixed my issue.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please specify the error prompted when the slicer fails in service? That would be helpful if you can provide your dummy pbix that I can test it on my side.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no error, hence the confusion! I'll try and get a dummy pbix up, hopefully that helps.  

same issue here

Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

can you further explain what you mean by "fail"?

Right off the bat, I would suggest making sure the formatting is still date when published to Serivce. Other that we will need more information to give you an accurate answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fail as in the slicer does not filter the data. The format is set to date, so that part is okay i think. What other info do you need? Thanks for coming back to me

Hey @Anonymous 

First, you will most likely need to fix this in desktop and then republish to Power BI Service. Below are my recommendations:

1. Make sure teh relationship between the field in the slicer and the fields in the visual you are trying to slice are active and are many-to-one or one-to-many.

2. Make sure the slicer is still set to interact with the visuals in question. For more information on this see this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

3. Delete the visuals and recreate them. This theoretically shouldn't do anything, but I have had this work for me before.

4. If you have other filters or slicers active on the page/visual make sure those do not interfere with the slicer in question.

5. Check to make sure no RLS has been created preventing your access to certain data. Based on your descriptions so far this seems unlikely.

6. Share your pbix file or open a support ticket with microsoft.

If this helps please kudo

If this solves your problem please accept it as a solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tired all of this but wasn't succesful, thank you for helping though. @Tad17 

I've been told by someone from Power BI support that it was a bug in an update that they put out last week. (1st week of Feb 2020)

It has since being rolled back and that fixed my issue.

Glad to hear it got solved! Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors