Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

josetabuenca
Regular Visitor

Data set not refreshing

Hi 

I am having an issue refreshing data sets since I have introduced a calculated table sdependent from a data set stored in direct query.

This is the refresh error message I obtained

Data source error{"error":{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error","pbi.error":{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error_Details_Label","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table or calculated column that depends on a table which references Analysis Services using DirectQuery."}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

Unfortunately, I need to have the calculated table for filtering matters because I cannot push calculated columns into the direct query data set that are refering to other data sources than the direct query one.

Some idea on how to vercome this problem?

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @josetabuenca ,

It sounds like you are trying to refresh a Power BI dataset that includes a calculated table that depends on another table that uses Direct Query mode to connect to an Analysis Services data source. Unfortunately, Power BI does not currently support refreshing datasets that include calculated tables that depend on tables using Direct Query mode.

One solution you could consider is to change the source data for the calculated table so that it does not use Direct Query mode. This would allow you to refresh the dataset, but you would need to find a way to incorporate the data from the Direct Query source into the calculated table using other means, such as using Power Query to merge or append the data.

Another option is to use a separate dataset for the calculated table, and then use a measure or a report-level filter to control the data displayed in the report based on the data in the calculated table. This would allow you to refresh the main dataset without affecting the calculated table.

It's also worth noting that Power BI recently introduced the ability to refresh datasets that include calculated columns, so you may want to consider using calculated columns instead of a calculated table if that meets your needs.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Switch that one table from the SSAS source (assuming it is a Power BI dataset) to import mode. To do that, remove the table from the data model, then connect to it via Analysis Services Import .

Not the best usage of SSAS but will get you around that problem.

Hi @lbendlin 

Thanks for your swift help. When using Analysis Services in Import Mode I got the following Unable to connect message: Details: "AnalysisServices: Analysis Services does not support the 'en-DK' culture. A different culture can be specified using the Culture option of the AnalysisServices.Databases function."

Some idea on how to overcome it?

Regards

Do what it says. Specify "en-GB"  or "dk-DK"  as your culture - whatever is more appropriate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors