Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MaxItaly
Helper III
Helper III

Data seems to be refreshed but it is not

Hello everybody,I have an issue about the refreshing of a dataset, and I'm not sure where I'm doing something wrong.
This is what I did:

1. I have a Power BI Pro trial activated
  2. using Power BI Dekstop I succesfully imported the first 1000 rows of a table obtained from a SQL server
  3. I created some basic reports and published the pbix file created in a workspace
  4. I have an on premises gateway installed, and it seems to be working fine from the gateway management
  5. I then decided to load more data, so I opened the pbix file and modified the query, importing the first 2000 rows.
  6. I save the file locally (I don't re-publish the pbix file)
  7. then I go to Power BI, open the workspace, and try to "refresh now" the dataset
  8. at this point, the dataset seems to be refreshed, since it shows the time of the last refresh, but, when I open the report, or try to make a new one, I clearly see that the dataset doesn't comprehend all the 2000 rows, but only the first 1000.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I not undersand correctly how it works? I imported more rows, so it should update on Power BI, or it shouldn't have to?

My goal is to have the dataset imported from the SQL server automatically updated, once a day, in Power BI.
Any help is really appreciated, many thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed that a new version of the gateway has been released yesterday. I am going to update it and hope it solves the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MaxItaly "I save the file locally (I don't re-publish the pbix file)" -> This is your problem. The Service is a copy of the PBIX file. The Service is refreshing against your query where you specify 1000, not 2000. If you want theunderlying query to change in the Service, you need to publish the PBIX again and replace it.

To say it another way. A PBIX file needs to be published each time if you change something in the model/report level.

The gateway will refresh only the data based on what you have defined and published.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@MaxItaly "I save the file locally (I don't re-publish the pbix file)" -> This is your problem. The Service is a copy of the PBIX file. The Service is refreshing against your query where you specify 1000, not 2000. If you want theunderlying query to change in the Service, you need to publish the PBIX again and replace it.

To say it another way. A PBIX file needs to be published each time if you change something in the model/report level.

The gateway will refresh only the data based on what you have defined and published.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Ah, now I understand, thanks you very much for the clarification!

Since I have very large databases, I wanted to test some features with less data and I was afraid the email subscription wasn't working. But thanks to your precisation, now i know that everything will work fine when I'll import all data.

Thank you very much again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors