Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sportynick
Frequent Visitor

Data refresh where data file is in a shared folder on network

Hi,

Currently have a setup where a shared dashboard is refreshed daily, with data from a file in shared drive on company network. Problem is gateway is my personal laptop, so refresh error occurs whenever my computer is turned off at refresh time (e.g. i'm out of office).

However i also have a power automate setup that runs even when my computer is turned off.

Is there a way i could set up the gateway for Power BI such that the refresh occurs even when my laptop is turned off, similar to how the power automate flow works? Believe this is possible considering the company's server is still running.

6 REPLIES 6
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Sportynick 

Use the On-Premises data gateway and configure the datasource under the gateway for refresh.

Please refer the below links.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-data-sources

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Hi Venal,

Went ahead to set up the on-premises data gateway, but received the following error:

"Unable to connect to the data source. 

Failure details: The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support."

Not too sure why the error occurs, setup seems fine and there is a green tick next to on-premises data gateway.

Still, would like to understand more on how this differs from personal gateway setup: status in both instances shows "Running on [my laptop serial code]".

Hi @Sportynick ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dong Li,

Thanks for following up and i understand your guidance as setting up the gateway to link to the server. Currently mine shows the file path on the shared drive only and so does not work. Seems that to do what you have guided, i would need to work with the IT admin to set it up, as need info on the server the shared drive is hosted on etc.. Perhaps as an alternative i should upload the data to SharePoint and then refresh from there, so that it will work for sure.

Hi @Sportynick ,

If you have install the On-Premises Data Gateway (Standard Mode) in a machine which can access the data source, Then we can configure a data source in "Manage Gateway" and enter the credential for it. At last, We need to go to the dataset setting, and map your data source of dataset to the data source under gateway. It is different from the Personal mode which just need to configure credential under the dataset setting:

19.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the gateway is on your computer and your computer is off, then it cannot run because your computer is what does the work.

Gateways are best installed into a server that can stay on 24/7

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors