Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joakleigh
Regular Visitor

Data refresh using gateway

Hello

I'm having some issue refreshing using an on-prem data gateway. I continually get the error message 'invalid connection credentials' whever I attempt to refresh the data using a gateway.

My environment:

I have Power BI Pro

I have a gateway connected to an on-prem SQL server (not a personal gateway)

I am building reports using the lastest Power BI Desktop version (as of 26-Sep)

• I have built a report using Power BI Desktop (taking careful note of the credentials and data source used to do so)
  • I have published that report to the Power BI service app.powerbi.com
  • I have setup and configured a gateway. The gateway is online and connected.
  • I have added a data source to the gateway using identical credentials and I get the 'connection successful' when doing so 
  • I have then connected the dataset which I uploaded to the gateway, seemingly successfully.
  • When I attempt to refresh the data I get the invalid connection credentials.

I can connect to the SQL server using SSMS fine using the credentials provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joakleigh
Regular Visitor

Hi all

What I have discoevered is that the data source used by Power BI has to match the name of the data source on the SQL Server SSL certificate.

This has fixed my issues.

Thanks everyone.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
joakleigh
Regular Visitor

Hi all

What I have discoevered is that the data source used by Power BI has to match the name of the data source on the SQL Server SSL certificate.

This has fixed my issues.

Thanks everyone.

@joakleigh nice man! don`t forget to close this topic! 

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hello, @joakleigh , i've got same problem in the past, to solve this i do the follow steps:

1 - Install the Gateway in the same place that has the source, in my case i installed inside the same Instance that has the SQL Server. 

2 - Configure again your credentials using the new cluster which was created.

After i've complted this steps the refresh become working fine! 

Please keep me touch if you got a solution and don't forget to mark this post as solution!

Best Regards,

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joakleigh,

Please check below details:

1. Could you please check the latest version of your on premiss gateway (Version:14.16.6830.1)
  2. Could you please check if you have the other dataset in your report? If you have other datasets, could you have configured the gateway or credentials?
  3. Could you please show the detail error in your refresh history if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors