Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ConnorH
Employee
Employee

Data refresh fail

Hi All,

I hope this is a good section to post about refresh issues. 

"Refresh failed:

WLS Projects Dataset has failed to refresh.
Failure details: SharePoint: Request failed: -Sharepoint Link-"

I have a  data set which says the authentication failed for accessing an Excel file on a SharePoint site. I have taken the data set and refreshed in the desktop version and the refresh works fine. Then I post it back online and it gives me the same error. I have tried to disconnect and reconnect thinking that maybe that would fix the authentication issue but it doesn't. I have tried searching this issue but no one has an answer to fix this.

Update- I have realized that it fails about 70% of the time when posted online. Meaning that sometimes the refresh works just fine other times it wont work and will cause an increased error rate. 

7 REPLIES 7
edhans
Super User
Super User

What do you mean "I have realized that it fails about 70% of the time when posted online."
Is this an on-prem SharePoint server?

How would your data not be posted "online?"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

I meant when the power BI dataset is posted online. So I was meaning I can refresh it on desktop mode.

Ok. The sporadicness of the fail is what is puzzling. Are you mashing it up with any other data? I wondering if the permission levels (private, organizational, etc.) are off, but that only matters if 2+ sources.

Any more details on the error in the service?

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I have three different sources in the data set. They are all set to Organization permission levels and signed in under me. Two sources are from the same sharepoint site one of which is the Excel document posted on sharepoint causing this refresh error. The third source is from a different site that seems to have no issues.

Hi @ConnorH,

If you are work with a mixed data source with both on premise and online types, I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following link to enable the use gateway to handle cloudy data source options. (cloudy data source does not need to add into the gateway data source, you only need to turn on the option allow gateway to manage them in mixed datasets)

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

At this point @ConnorH I am a bit stumped as to why the Excel file is causing an issue like this. You could test to see if the SharePoint site itself is having an issue by moving the Excel file to a different one. Beyond that, I'd open a trouble ticket.

Ok I will give that a try a little later today otherwise I will open a ticket!

-Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors