Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data not updating after publishing blob storage based Power bi reports from Desktop app

Hi,

I am facing an issue with my Power bi report after publishing it from Power Bi Desktop.

I have a report which sources data in from blob storage, does some computation on it and publishes it to the Power Bi workspace. The report works perfectly fine on Power Bi desktop app, but when I publish it to my workspace, that's when the problem starts.

After I publish it, the data on the Web app report does not update even after refreshing it manually using the 'Refresh' button at the top. However, when I go and refresh the data on Power Bi desktop and re-publish, I see the updated data on the Web app. The data on Web app report updates only for a while and then it stops doing that.

Here is the Power Query code for the report, I have written:

let
    Source = AzureStorage.Blobs("caiotsandboxstorage"),
    caiotsandboxhubdata1 = Source{[Name="caiotsandboxhubdata"]}[Data],
    //Getting files only which are not hidden, has a certain filepath and were modified in last 6 hours
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(caiotsandboxhubdata1, each [Attributes][Hidden] <> true and Text.Contains([Name], "door_sensors/current_sensor") and Number.Abs(Duration.TotalHours(DateTimeZone.RemoveZone(DateTimeZone.UtcNow()) - DateTimeZone.RemoveZone(DateTimeZone.From([Date modified])))) <= 6),
    #"Binary To Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", {"Content", Lines.FromBinary}),
    #"Select Content and Name" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Binary To Text", {"Name", "Content"}),
    #"Expand Content" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Select Content and Name", "Content"),
    #"Filter Content" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expand Content", each ([Content] <> "")),
    #"Add Parsed Content" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filter Content", "ParsedContent", each Json.Document([Content])),
    #"Remove Column Content" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Add Parsed Content",{"Content"}),
    #"Expand ParsedContent" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Remove Column Content", "ParsedContent", {"messages", "id", "sensorLabel"}, {"messages", "id", "sensorLabel"}),
    #"Expand messages 1" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expand ParsedContent", "messages"),
    #"Expand messages 2" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expand messages 1", "messages", {"current", "timestamp"}, {"current", "timestamp"}),
    #"Transformed data" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expand messages 2",{{"timestamp", type datetime}, {"current", type number}})
in
    #"Transformed data"

Could somebody please help me? What am I doing wrong in this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After I publish it, the data on the Web app report does not update even after refreshing it manually using the 'Refresh' button at the top

Are you using the button on Report page like below? 

refresh report.png

If so, it will only update the latest data from dataset into visuals on report pages.

To get the latest data from data source (Azure Blog Storage), it is needed to refresh the dataset first and then refresh the report. 

Icey_0-1632712266521.png

Or you can set scheduled refresh like so: Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Reference: 

Solved: How to read and extract CSV file in Azure Blob? - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: How to refresh automatically data in Report using ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After I publish it, the data on the Web app report does not update even after refreshing it manually using the 'Refresh' button at the top

Are you using the button on Report page like below? 

refresh report.png

If so, it will only update the latest data from dataset into visuals on report pages.

To get the latest data from data source (Azure Blog Storage), it is needed to refresh the dataset first and then refresh the report. 

Icey_0-1632712266521.png

Or you can set scheduled refresh like so: Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Reference: 

Solved: How to read and extract CSV file in Azure Blob? - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: How to refresh automatically data in Report using ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. It worked like a charm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors