Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lilylv
Helper I
Helper I

Data in Chinese Characters Displayed as '???' on PBI Service

Hi All,

I have a pbix file in which there is one column shows both the english name and the chinese name of cutomers(datasource is sql server). Before it displayed well in english and simplified chinese on Power BI Service, but from last week, it occasionally shows '???' for those chinese characters.

The only thing I've adjusted for this file recently is changed a gateway for refreshing the datasource online. What's more, when encouterred this issue, I checked the datasource in sql server, there's no outstandings or specific formats, then I tried to change back the old gateway, but stilll it sometimes dispalyed correctly and sometimes incorrectly.

Does any one know why it happens?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get any solution around this? I am facing the same issue

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lilylv ,

I really can't reproduce your issue. Would you please check the data type of your chinese column in sql server? Is it varchar instead of nvarchar? Please change it to nvarchar and try again.

What's your browser? Would you please check the language setting of your browser? Please refer to https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001904.htm

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried to change the default language of the browser(Google Chrome), still have this issue. And the data format in SQL is correct.

Which really wierd is that this morning when I refreshed the data, it's displayed in Chinese! But few hours later when I refreshed again, it failed to dispaly well...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors