Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
michalg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Data gateway support for paginated reports

hello,

I'm just curious if paginated reports support connections through data gateway?

As currently I'm trying to PoC such solution but without success.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Data gateway support for paginated reports

Hi @michalg ,

Based on my research, the gateway could support for paginated reports, you could refer to below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-save-to-power-bi-service#create-a-gatewa...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
michalg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-danhe-msft, thanks for the replay unfortunately I can't find this to work.

Currently I have solution wit multiple "standard" reports (.pbix) and with them everything is fine it can reach datasources (in Azure) behind data gateway and now I'm trying to introduce paginated reports and here comes problem as even when I try to connect to data source I get an error: 

Failed to update data source credentials: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.)Hide details

Activity ID:9f11e9be-0178-4be0-a72c-4be05e010e83
Request ID:a787815d-cd7c-bae7-483c-cac5e8872883
Status code:400
Time:Mon Mar 18 2019 10:01:52 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
Version:13.0.8730.162
Cluster URI:https://wabi-west-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

db is in azure (sql managed instance)

report configuration is:

connection type: 

Microsoft Azure SQL Database

connection string:

Data Source=<server url> Catalog=<db name>

credentials are also correct connection works fine with Report Builder but not after deploying to Power BI Service.

Can you give me some hint what I'm doing wrong maybe I should update connection string somehow?

Best regards,

Michał

Power BI Team rpatkar
Power BI Team

Hi Michal,

I don't think we have tested this scenario of using SQL Managed Instance through Gateway. Why are you trying to use GW here rather than connecting to it directly. Asking since GW is primarily a means to enable on-prem data sources to be used in cloud scenarios.

Also, if you have created a Power BI Dataset using this data source (you likely have this as part of uploading the PBIX report you created), you can have your Paginated Report connect to this Power BI Dataset through the XMLA endpoint. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-open-platform-connectivity-with-xmla-endpoints-pub.... In Report Builder, use "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" as the data source. Thanks.

jcheng Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

michalg,

I got the same requirement and problem as you have. Do you find any solution yet?

James

michalg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

hi @jcheng, unfortunately in my scenerio it's not working by I'm using Qzure SQL Managed Instance as db source, I found it working in another solutions what you have to do is to change SQL instead of Azure SQL as connetion type in your report datasource configuration.  

michalg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

hi @rpatkar I need Data GW as our MI endpoint isn't exposed outside a dedicated vnet and in that case we can't trat it as public accessible source.

jcheng Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am able to find a solution for this pagenated report in connecting to SQL MI database. You will need to create CNAME in your local DNS for SQL MI server which is FQDN by default. The CNAME could be just the first part of FQDN. Then, the Power BI report builder will use the CNAME instead of FQDN as SQL data source.  The Report builder will try this CNAME as local SQL server instead of Cloud/Azure SQL server. After publishing pagenated report to Power BI App Workspace, you need to specify the rigt Gateway for this connection. Then, the pagenated report should run fine.

James