Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MtbPower

Data gateway - No option for users to add to dataset unless made admin

Hi,

I'm struggling to get my head around allow users to use a data source on our gateway. Everything I've found online suggests to use a datasource they just need to be made a user on the data source itself and not need to be an admin on the gateway. However, in our testing so, on a dataset settings theres no option to add the datasource unless the user is made an admin of the gateway. 

Can anyone shed a bit of light on with this please? Am I missing something more obivious?

What can users of a gateway datasource do compared to admin of the gateway?

The cloest I've found so far is https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Named-Users-unable-to-see-Gateway-configured-in-DMZ/m-p/969... two posters mentioned the same issue however does not appear to give an answer.

Many thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you don't give users access to gateway connections. The only people you give gateway connection access to are developers that may one day take over your dataset.  They don't need to be gateway admins either (but for BCP purposes you want at least two of each (two gateway admins, and two connection developers)

Users only need access to the app or report etc.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @MtbPower 

The gateway administrator can manage the gateway, configure data sources, and manage users.
Users of the gateway can use the data source in the gateway.

Like this:

8.png

If you only need to use the data source, add it as a gateway user.

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you don't give users access to gateway connections. The only people you give gateway connection access to are developers that may one day take over your dataset.  They don't need to be gateway admins either (but for BCP purposes you want at least two of each (two gateway admins, and two connection developers)

Users only need access to the app or report etc.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors