Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vojtechsima
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Data from CSV/Excel won't refresh in Power BI Dashboard

Hi,

this happens quite often with Excel/.CSV files.

If I refresh Power BI Dataset the new data won't appear in Dashboard (even tho the Excel/CSV updated successfully). "The Fix" is to somehow change the Excel file and save it and then Refresh it again. Then the Dashboard will show the new data. However, this is a terrible workaround and I need to fix it normally.

Example:

Here are the last records of the .csv file

vojtechsima_0-1619795823041.png

Here is the actual dashboard:

vojtechsima_1-1619795848190.png

As you can see by the TimeStamp it didn't recognize the newly added data. The problem is that the Power BI also generates this .csv file (using R) and then I load it back (this enables me to have Snapshots from older data). Like this with every update the .csv updates as well and I need the freshest data. Like this, I get only the previous refresh data.

4 REPLIES 4
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vojtechsima 

You can try to click Refresh visuals on the dashboard, the visuals on the dashboard will be updated with the lasted data when the data model is been updated.

v-cazheng-msft_0-1620202147281.png

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-cazheng-msft  Hi,

I followed your advice, however, nothing changed. The problem is that the dataset itself seems to not see the newest added rows, the only way how I can "make the dataset" see it, is to manually open the file add something or just do some change and then the dataset sees the newest rows.

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @vojtechsima - Can you please let me know where the Excel source files are hosted? Also can you share details on the mode of connection to these Source files? 

Please do refer to the Microsoft documentation - any excel files hosted on One Drive or Sharepoint would refresh automatically every hour automcatically

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-excel-file-onedrive

Do vote/mark this post as a solution and provide kudos 👍 if it helped you with your question. This would also help others on the community who may have similar questions. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Sumanth_23 

My .csv file is located on the Gateway server in Local Files:

vojtechsima_1-1620035409230.png

I use the Personal Mode of the Gateway because I need to run the R script (sorry for Czech Language).

This is my data source inside PBI Desktop:

vojtechsima_2-1620035527032.png

Here is the script that creates the .csv with every update:

let
    Source = PowerBI.Dataflows(null),
    #"ae4337d5-93df-4f61-b586-d12b5bee098a" = Source{[workspaceId="ae4337d5-93df-4f61-b586-d12b5bee098a"]}[Data],
    #"c4c768a0-0acc-4cf4-9b1e-17524805da17" = #"ae4337d5-93df-4f61-b586-d12b5bee098a"{[dataflowId="c4c768a0-0acc-4cf4-9b1e-17524805da17"]}[Data],
    #"Linked Issues1" = #"c4c768a0-0acc-4cf4-9b1e-17524805da17"{[entity="Linked Issues"]}[Data],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Linked Issues1", "Date", each DateTime.LocalNow()),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Date", type text}}),
    #"Run R script" = R.Execute("# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script#(lf)install.packages(""gdata"")#(lf)require(gdata)#(lf)write.table(trim(dataset), file=""C:/transformation/JIRA_Problem_Report/JIRA_Problem_Report.csv"", sep = ""\t"", row.names = FALSE, append = T)#(lf)plot(dataset);",[dataset=#"Changed Type"])
in
    #"Run R script"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors