Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

najmead
Frequent Visitor

Data formats in datamarts

I appreciate this feature is still in preview mode, but...

How do I format fields in a datamart model?  For example, if I select a field that is a whole number, I can see various formatting options, but none of them appear to allow me to format with comma seperators.  There is a 'custom' option, but it doesn't seem to allow me to set what 'custom' means (eg, I can't seem to set it to #,000 or similar).

With date fields, I don't seem to be able to set any format whatsoever -- the format drop-down is completely greyed out.  When building a report off a datamart model, dates appear to be formatted in a long-format, with no option to override.

Are these issues relating to the product being in preview and unfinished?  Or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @najmead ,

According to your description, I understand that you have some doubts about modifying the data format in datamart: you want to define the data in your own format, and you find that you cannot modify the date format, his optional column is grayed out.

1.For your first question, I find that the function itself provides some existing custom formats, as the following shows:

vmengzhumsft_4-1656567253493.png

If you want to modify it with your own format ,you can directly enter your format string, you also can refer to this document for available symbols for custom formats Format function (Visual Basic for Applications) | Microsoft Docs

vmengzhumsft_5-1656567253494.png

2. for your second question, from my testing, I can change the date format, the format drop-down is available, as the following shows:

vmengzhumsft_6-1656567253495.png

you can give me the screenshot to let me know the details, may be you need to check your date column.

And if you don’t want the “long-date” format, you can also use custom function to choose “short date”.

vmengzhumsft_7-1656567253495.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @najmead ,

According to your description, I understand that you have some doubts about modifying the data format in datamart: you want to define the data in your own format, and you find that you cannot modify the date format, his optional column is grayed out.

1.For your first question, I find that the function itself provides some existing custom formats, as the following shows:

vmengzhumsft_4-1656567253493.png

If you want to modify it with your own format ,you can directly enter your format string, you also can refer to this document for available symbols for custom formats Format function (Visual Basic for Applications) | Microsoft Docs

vmengzhumsft_5-1656567253494.png

2. for your second question, from my testing, I can change the date format, the format drop-down is available, as the following shows:

vmengzhumsft_6-1656567253495.png

you can give me the screenshot to let me know the details, may be you need to check your date column.

And if you don’t want the “long-date” format, you can also use custom function to choose “short date”.

vmengzhumsft_7-1656567253495.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors