Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

2ccccc
Frequent Visitor

Data doesn't get updated by direct query report

I have a report, data connection type is mixed(all tables is direct query except I create a data table by using DAX). Data is from my Azure SQL Database. After I finished it, I published it to my public workspace. However, this report doesn't get any data updated since I published it.  I tried to interacte the report. It doesn't update my data on the report. Now I have to set a schedule refresh on that dataset(which suppose to use for refreshing Import mode report). Can anyone tell me how to get my data refreshed?

11 REPLIES 11
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@2ccccc 

If it is older version of Gateway, please upgrade to the new version.

Have you enabled the below Gateway Settings in Power BI Service.

Power BI Service >> Settings >> Manage Gateways

Gateway - Settings - Enabled.JPG

2ccccc
Frequent Visitor

@venal  I am not sure what you are saying. I don't use any gateway because my data is from an Azure SQL database. Why do I need a On-Pre gateway to config my cluster?  See this document from MSDN.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

image.png

Also remember that you have to interact with a report for the data to be refreshed.

or you have to press the refresh button.

Whilst there is a new feature for the reports to auto refresh if you are using Power BI Pro it only updates every 30 minutes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Does data get update if I click the refresh button on the report? I thought the 'refresh' button on the report only refresh the visualation on the report which doesn't refresh my data. Anyway it works. Thanks for the advise. However when I interact with my report, my data doesn't get updated. Why this? Or which kind of interaction can refresh my data in this case?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you need to "auto refresh" you can use the Revolver app in Chrome.  We do this for reports that are displayed on a large screen in our operations center.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/revolver-tabs/dlknooajieciikpedpldejhhijacnbda?hl=en

Hi @Anonymous 

Does this do that trick? How? I am pretty interested on this. Is this rotating my tabs and refresh my page every rotation? So I have to keep my Chrome open to get the auto-refreshing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you would need to keep it open to refresh.  

HI there

Can you confirm that there is data being updated in the underlying Azure SQL DB?

Also are there any filters on your page or visuals which could be limiting the data from being updated?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  Thanks for reply. I do confirmed that underlying data in my Azure SQL DB is updated.(we use a sync-group to synconaized data from local SQL DB to Azure SQL DB). I check the log from Sync-group. My data is successfully updated every time. Secondly, There only a date filter that filtered my visualazition. That is used for filter out our today data. I don't think any of these factors caused my data not being freshed on the report.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you confirm that your table from Azure SQL Database is in DirectQuery?

You can click on the table in Power BI Desktop, then right click and select Properties.

What does the storage mode say?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ Yes. The table from Azure SQL DB storage mode is DirectQuery.

ss.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors