Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CiceroBC
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data classification for dashboards locks reports to default

Our organization is using the option to set data classifications (Admin portal -> Tenant settings -> Dashboard settings -> Data classification for dashboards) to clearly identify appropriate presentation audiences when dashboards are private to our company, allowed to be shared with our affiliates, or for public forums.  The label at the top of the dashboard is an excellent feature and seems to do the trick as a good "You have access, but this isn't appropriate to show in meetings."

The problem is that when looking at workspaces in the "Shared with me", all reports are also labeled with the default classification.  Is there a way to change or remove the report classification (since this feature appears to be intended for dashboards only)?
Example of default classification applied to reports - I can't seem to change itExample of default classification applied to reports - I can't seem to change it

5 REPLIES 5
CiceroBC
Advocate I
Advocate I

I thought I would share the workaround that I've come up with.  Since reports are automatically assigned the default classification, I've unchecked the "Show Tag" option for the default classification, and then relabeled all the dashboards with a second classification tag that is set to display. 
It certainly isn't ideal, and doesn't allow for brand new dashboards created by personal users to have an automatic tag explaining what audience the contained data is appropriate for.  It requires a "no tag, no sharing" approach to dashboard development, which is easier to forget than seeing a tag marked "PRIV" for company proprietary and private data.  If anyone else has a solution to either change tags on reports (or a better way to remove them from reports without removing the default tag on dashboards), please jump in.

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @CiceroBC

You may go to Settings to change it.For further,please refer to Setting a dashboard’s classification.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response Cherie (@v-cherch-msft), but I'm afraid this does not address my question. I am not looking for the classification settings of a dashboard. I need to change the classification settings that are applied as a default on reports.

Hi @CiceroBC

Data classification is set up by the global admin for your organization.For further,please refer to this article.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cherie (@v-cherch-msft)

How does this change the reports classification?  Example of default classification applied to reports - I can't seem to change itExample of default classification applied to reports - I can't seem to change it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors