Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data cached in the service using Direct Query

Hi

I seem to be seeing what looks like caching using Direct Query. Now I know how to direct query works and that every interaction with a visual sends a query to the underlying data source. What seems to be happening in the pilot we have developed (both in the service and desktop) is once all the options of any slicers have been selected once, any delay (and we get a delay) in refreshing visuals disappears.

For example;

We have a table with sale fact information and some DAX measures we also have a slicer with product dimension info slicing the fact table. When we first select a slicer value we see a delay in the fact table updating (refresh circle top left of the visual) this behaviour repeats the first time we select all the other options in the slicer. On any subsequent selections of the slicer options the fact table visual updates instantaneously. I can only think that data is being cashed which goes against all the documentation I have read about direct query.

Has anyone else exhibited this behaviour?

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You could run a SQL Profiler on SQL Server to capture all DAX queries sent to the database.

It will show you that every time you refresh that report page or change something.

With the DirectQuery mode, Power BI Desktop will send a query for every single visualization to the database.

DirectQuery Connection in Power BI; How does it work? Limitations and Advantages

Run SQL Server Profiler

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the data source is not SQL server so i cant trace it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors