Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

greglong
Regular Visitor

Data Sources with MFA - Dynamics 365 Business Central

We are implementing a Power BI report over Dynamics 365 Business Central ("D365BC") using the specific connector (not OData).  All O365 users licenced for D365BC use MFA as per MS recommendations.  Unfortunately it seems that the scheduled refresh of the data source fails when the MFA period expires for the particular credentials.  We get the following messages:

"Data source error: Scheduled refresh is disabled beause at least one data source is missing credentials.  To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources..."

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid.  Please update your credentails and try again"

In my research and testing I've found the following:

1. We do not encounter this issue on sites where the D365BC account does not have MFA
  2. Implementing an APP password for the O365 user account with MFA does not work
  3. There is also a workaround by enabling the Azure Service Principal but it seems relates to embedding Power BI.  Will it work in my situation?
  4. Is an MFA solution still pending a resolution from MS?  This Power BI Idea started in March 2017 indicates MFA authentication is still an issue?

Are there any other workarounds or solutions to this issue without switching off MFA?  Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@greglong wrote:

@V-pazhen-msft  - Paul - thanks for the advice - have logged with MS Power BI Support and will update if I get a response

An update to the support call - I logged this with Power BI support and they then logged a call with the D365 Business Central team with the following response: 

"We have created an incident with D365 Business Central team for further assistance and they have confirmed that there is no option or workaround other than disabling MFA to make it work."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@greglong 

For this kind of issue that has already been submit but unsolved , I would recommend you to create a support ticket see if Power bi team has came out with a workaround.

Regards
Paul

@V-pazhen-msft  - Paul - thanks for the advice - have logged with MS Power BI Support and will update if I get a response

@greglong wrote:

An update to the support call - I logged this with Power BI support and they then logged a call with the D365 Business Central team with the following response: 

"We have created an incident with D365 Business Central team for further assistance and they have confirmed that there is no option or workaround other than disabling MFA to make it work."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors