Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbrandt
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data Sources on Service: "Web.MultiPartPost" vs "Web.Contents" Data Sources

Howdy!

I've created several reports on Desktop which successfully call an api using Web.MultiPartPost to construct, request and retrieve data from an on-line service.  However, publishing to PBI Serivce and attempting to refresh, I am informed that the data source does not support refreshes.   By contrast, I can construct a simple "Web.Contents" query, retrieving data which does support refreshes.  

Can anyone provide insights as to why one method would be supported and not the other?  Has anyone sucessfully published refreshing queries on Service using  a Post method? 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbrandt
Advocate I
Advocate I

I think I've answered my own question here, so I'll post to share.  

First, a clarification.  Web.MultiPartPost is a function construct which incorporates Web.Contents but apparently obfuscates this fact to PBI Service, as it doesn't reconize it as a known connection type.   [I'm not sure who to attribute this function to, It's nice work, but I'm not the original author of it ] 

Regarding the inability to refresh the query using the MultiPartPost function.  Apparently the only non-DirectQuery connection type that will refresh in PBI Service is a Web.Contents call using Annonymous authentication.  I was able to refactor the function, eliminating much of the flexability, but creating a version that Service will recognize as supportable with Annonymous authentication.  That being said, you must reset the credentials after you (re)publish the dataset, even though it's just clicking through the Annonymous setting.  

I'll also note that the query still won't refresh in an Embedded scenario.  It seems in this case, no imported dataset can be refreshed (yet - hopefully!), only DirectQuery, e.g. to Azure SQL. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jbrandt
Advocate I
Advocate I

I think I've answered my own question here, so I'll post to share.  

First, a clarification.  Web.MultiPartPost is a function construct which incorporates Web.Contents but apparently obfuscates this fact to PBI Service, as it doesn't reconize it as a known connection type.   [I'm not sure who to attribute this function to, It's nice work, but I'm not the original author of it ] 

Regarding the inability to refresh the query using the MultiPartPost function.  Apparently the only non-DirectQuery connection type that will refresh in PBI Service is a Web.Contents call using Annonymous authentication.  I was able to refactor the function, eliminating much of the flexability, but creating a version that Service will recognize as supportable with Annonymous authentication.  That being said, you must reset the credentials after you (re)publish the dataset, even though it's just clicking through the Annonymous setting.  

I'll also note that the query still won't refresh in an Embedded scenario.  It seems in this case, no imported dataset can be refreshed (yet - hopefully!), only DirectQuery, e.g. to Azure SQL. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors