Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source on Gateway not showing on Power BI Datasets

Hello Everyone,

We have installed Power BI Gateway on a separate machine that is on our network (but not Power BI Desktop). We have configured it, and added a Data Source which is a .TXT file (just for test purposes) that is connecting successfully, as you can see on the image:

datasource_gatewayPBI1.PNG

We are on the list of Users of that DataSource and Admins of that Gateway. However, we cannot find the Data Source anywhere to use it on a report. Even on Power BI Desktop (on our personal PCs), it is not listed on the Power BI Datasets:

datasource_gatewayPBI2.PNG

We don't understand how can we access this file to make reports. Can someone help please?

Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed your text file is listed as "C:\", which indicates its on the local harddrive of the gateway.  Projects on the web will have no valid path that references a local harddrive.  As such you'll need to move the file to a network folder and ensure that the file path is in the format of "\\<servername>\<folder>\<subfolder>\<etc...>\<file>"

The next question i'd have for you.  The Power BI Service dialogue box, was that a dialogue box from your Power BI desktop?  If so that particular selection "Power BI Service" looks like when you want to connect directly to an existing data model.

Instead you want to use 'Get Data' -> 'Text/CSV' and then choose the file using the identical format from the gateway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that you have add the csv data source to data gateway successfully.

By my tests, if you only add the data source to gateway but you have not published the report with that csv data source to Power BI Service, you will not see the data source under the Datasets lists in Power BI Service. So when you get data with Power BI Datasets in Power BI Desktop, you won't find it.

In addition, if you want to create report in Power BI Desktop with that csv file, you should click Get Data>> File>> CSV.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed your text file is listed as "C:\", which indicates its on the local harddrive of the gateway.  Projects on the web will have no valid path that references a local harddrive.  As such you'll need to move the file to a network folder and ensure that the file path is in the format of "\\<servername>\<folder>\<subfolder>\<etc...>\<file>"

The next question i'd have for you.  The Power BI Service dialogue box, was that a dialogue box from your Power BI desktop?  If so that particular selection "Power BI Service" looks like when you want to connect directly to an existing data model.

Instead you want to use 'Get Data' -> 'Text/CSV' and then choose the file using the identical format from the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors