Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source Updates

We have created reports in Power BI desktop and uploaded them to the Service.  "Save As" version of these reports have also been created on the Service (linked to the initial datasets).  Publish to web links have been added to various reports across the board.  We now need to update the data source from our initial Excel test file to a MySQL database on these reports.  I can easily accomplish this if we download the reports to desktop, then I change over the data source and re-upload.  However, for the reports that were copied via a "Save As" in the Power BI Service, when they are reuploaded, there will be a new file created and a new URL will have to be built for the Publish to Web feature.  Ultimately, we need to update the data source for all of the files, but also maintain the URLs. Is there a method or workaround for this type of update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Based on my test, every time when you republish and replace the old dataset, power bi (publish to web) will generate a new embed URL. So I'm afraid this can't be achieved currently. As a workaround, you may use power bi rest api to embed the report or part of report to the third-partty app.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Based on my test, every time when you republish and replace the old dataset, power bi (publish to web) will generate a new embed URL. So I'm afraid this can't be achieved currently. As a workaround, you may use power bi rest api to embed the report or part of report to the third-partty app.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have noticed that if you download a report from the Power BI Service (one that was not created with the "Save-As" function, has its own data source) and if you do not change the name of the file or the data source, then you will be given the option to overwrite.  This option will overwrite the current file and any data query updates (ie. filters). The overwrite option also maintains the same URL. This functionally has been very useful for most of our updates with URL and we have used it for over a year.  However, the files created with the "Save-As" feature or with data source changes are currently the issue.  I appreciate your response and we will look into the rest API and await future updates on the Power BI Service the allow for more control on URL management for publish to web items.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors