Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source Parameters Not Saving in Online Service when using Personal Gateway

Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to Power BI and could use some help.  I have built out a dashboard to perform and visualize some topic modelling on my data.  This dashboard is built similar to this blog , but instead of using PyCaret, I chose to use other libraries.  I have also added a few different parameters within the data model to pass into my Python code to allow for easy changes without hardcoding some values. 

Based on my understanding, Python is only supported by Power BI online service when using the Power BI Gateway in Personal mode (see here).  So, in order to get this working within the Online Service, I am using an Azure Desktop where the personal mode gateway is installed and that I use to publish to the online service.  I chose to go with the Azure Desktop so that it's the dashboard isn't dependent on my physical workstation.  Everything works all well and fine when I publish the dashboard and I'm able to adjust the parameters and refresh the data.  The problem I have is that after a certain amount of time (haven't figured that part out), I lose the ability to change the parameter values.  When I try to change and apply the new parameter value, it just spins on me and then returns the same list of parameters that are not saved.

boley21_0-1609969712286.png

boley21_1-1609969777846.png

I'm still logged into the Azure Desktop, but I have disconnected from it and I wonder if there is some sort of timeout setting?

Any help would be appreciated.  Is there anyone else using parameters along with a personal gateway?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry, not very clear.

For now, it is suggested that you download the report on the Service to the local, and test whether the parameters can be changed successfully. Hope you can provide a more detailed description.

Also, I found this similar post which might be helpful to solve your issue. Please kindly refer to:

Unable to change the parameters in Power BI service for a csv data set

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Stephen,

The dashboard itself works perfectly fine within the Power BI client and I can change the parameters and refresh the data.  It also works just fine when I publish it to a Power BI Premium Workspace within our organization initially, but it seems like after a certain amount of time some sort of connection is lost and I cannot change the parameters anymore.  I will try to explain my setup a bit further:

Below you can find a high level design of the process:

bi design.png

I have a built a dashboard that utilizes python to process the data and I have created parameters that are passed into the datasource and the python code so that I can change the parameter without having to go into the code. In order to publish this report in the online service, I needed to build out a Power BI gateway in personal mode for my data source. The reason I am using a Power BI gateway in personal mode is because my understanding is that is the only way to use python in a Power BI dashboard within the online service. Since the personal mode has a direct connection to a workstation, I decided to go with a Azure Desktop for my workstation so that it wasn't connected to my physical one (less risk when it comes to reboots, power outages, etc). This personal gateway is used to run both my python code as well as refreshing the data source from my MS SQL database.

Everything works correctly when I publish the report to the online service and I can adjust the parameters just fine. The problem seems to be that after a certain length of time, it stops working like there is a connection timeout on the personal gateway or something. I can still refresh the data using the personal mode connection, but for whatever reason I am not able to adjust any of my parameters.

Here is a look at my data source list with the ones circled in red as my parameters:

params.png

Here is a screenshot of one of the parameters as an example:

params2.png

Here is a screenshot of how I use a few of the parameters to filter the rows of a data source:

filter1.png

Here is a screenshot of how I use one of the parameters within my python code as a step on the datasource:

python snap.png

Since everything works within the Power BI client as well as right after I publish on the online service, I'm thinking the issue has to do with something with the communication/connection on the Azure desktop, personal gateway, or online service.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should also mention that once this issue starts (where I cannot change the parameters from the online service); that means that I cannot make the parameters changes both from a physical device web browser nor when I connect back into my Azure desktop.  The only way I can get it back working is republishing it, but then it stops working after a point of time after each publish.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors