Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source Credentials failing while connecting from PBI Service, works fine from PBI Desktop

Dear Members,

Can someone please help me resolve below concern ?

I am using Microsoft Graph as WebAPI to pull data from Microsoft Planner. It works fine when connected from "PowerBI desktop" & so does the refresh from there. I am using OAuth2 (Org Account) with Privacy as None to connect.

However, when I try to schedule the auto-Refresh on app.powerbi.com (PBI service), all the authentication methods fail to connect while configuring "Data Source Credentials". The same authentication OAuth2 with Privacy as None doesn't work from PBI Service.

Due to this, I have to manually perform the refresh from PowerBI Desktop, publish & update the app for it to reflect on my dashboard.

Please help.

Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. (Source at https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/planner/plans/aM-_QXk-90CIXLELRQL03JYAEVja/tasks.)Hide details

Activity ID:1c0acd72-2d0f-4f8f-8f63-d7b1d0bf38d7
Request ID:8bfdff85-fef8-6601-6de6-d0949865161a
Status code:400
Time:Tue Apr 14 2020 11:39:26 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Service version:13.0.12887.307
Client version:2003.5.00484-train
Cluster URI:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

5 REPLIES 5
FCT
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous, were you able to solve this? Please, share the solution.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

I assume you using the Web connector for this API call? There are 2 things you might wanna check:

1. Regarding the privacy settings you could have a look at this post: Credentials, Data Privacy Settings And Data Sources In Power Query/Power BI 

2. Another thing that can fail the dataset refresh is dynamic URLs, are you using those?

In the last part of the above post, Chris explains:

...data sources that use dynamic urls can’t be refreshed after publishing.

Please have a look at this post how to fix the issues you might be having.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems like something wrong with credentials, maybe you can try these steps to check:

1. Please try to check whether the URL you have previous entered works fine in browser or entered correctly with any unnecessary character when connecting to web source
  2. Please try to check whether this credential have access to data source
  3. Please try to check whether you have installed the latest version of gateway and it works fine

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yingjl ,

Thanks for your prompt response. Please find below my response inline.

1. Please try to check whether the URL you have previous entered works fine in browser or entered correctly with any unnecessary character when connecting to web source

Ashutosh: The url works fine only with PBI desktop & Graph explorer. It fails through PBI service & throws below error when accessed on any web browser.

{
"error": {
"code": "InvalidAuthenticationToken",
"message": "Access token is empty.",
"innerError": {
"request-id": "96a51370-67df-4707-9106-1b968c999909",
"date": "2020-04-14T10:33:13"
}
}
}

2. Please try to check whether this credential have access to data source

Ashutosh: Yes, I have access to the DS. I have microsoft account integrated across planner, powerbi & graph (all parties which are engaged here). 

3. Please try to check whether you have installed the latest version of gateway and it works fine

Ashutosh: I have the latest version of gateway, but I doubt if gateway is any rescue for me here. Since it's a web call, I am show below message when I expand "Gateway Connection" tab on PBI service under Datasets:
"You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect. Learn More"

I am happy to have a call (in Teams) on this. Please let me know if it's feasible for you (MS Team) to assist me there. It is very critical for me to get rid of the issue as multiple automated reports are stuck for automation here.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashutosh Gupta

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors