Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gmecwm

Data Source Changing When Recreating Report/Dashboard

I just built a report & dashboard for this company I'm working for, and my data source was an Excel file on my computer drive. Now that it's finished, I'd like to transfer ownership to my boss. As I've learned from other posts, this can't exactly be done, so I'm using my boss's credentials to essentially recreate the report under his account. The issue I'm concerned about is the fact that the Excel file is still on my computer. If I create the report in his account then send the Excel file to him and he tries to upload the data to update the report, is PowerBI going to be able to do that???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gmecwm,

If I create the report in his account then send the Excel file to him and he tries to upload the data to update the report, is PowerBI going to be able to do that???

Yes. That way, the published report on service is owned by your boss.

But, one thing should be pay attention to is that if your boss just need to view this report on service, without need to refresh data source, there is no matter whether you send the Excel file to him or not since you have imported the Excel data into .pbix file. Anyone who gets this .pbix file can open and read this report on his computer. For refresh, it would fail, although you send the Excel file to him. As the data source location has been changed while the path in Power Query wasn't. You may need to ask your boss to change the file path under Advanced Editor after receiving the .pbix file and excel file.

2.PNG

Alternatively, to avoid above step, you can upload the Excel file to your boss's Onedrive. Then, get data from Onedrive to create report, still with your boss's credential.

Reference: Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop

Getting OneDrive Files into Power BI Desktop

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gmecwm,

If I create the report in his account then send the Excel file to him and he tries to upload the data to update the report, is PowerBI going to be able to do that???

Yes. That way, the published report on service is owned by your boss.

But, one thing should be pay attention to is that if your boss just need to view this report on service, without need to refresh data source, there is no matter whether you send the Excel file to him or not since you have imported the Excel data into .pbix file. Anyone who gets this .pbix file can open and read this report on his computer. For refresh, it would fail, although you send the Excel file to him. As the data source location has been changed while the path in Power Query wasn't. You may need to ask your boss to change the file path under Advanced Editor after receiving the .pbix file and excel file.

2.PNG

Alternatively, to avoid above step, you can upload the Excel file to your boss's Onedrive. Then, get data from Onedrive to create report, still with your boss's credential.

Reference: Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop

Getting OneDrive Files into Power BI Desktop

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly! (:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors