Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgrowan
Regular Visitor

Data Set refreshes but no new data on Azure SQL Database connection

I have a report I've built in Power BI Desktop connecting to an Azure SQL Database.

At first it was connected using Data Connectivity Mode Direct Query. I published and all was good, refresh showed the new data in the database.

I then added some more things to the report and had to switch from Direct Query to Import to allow the adding of a Date dimension. Refreshing locally on Power BI Desktop works fine and I published the report.

Now however the report does not show the latest data on the service. The Data Set shows that the scheduled cache refresh is configured and the history shows it is refreshing and I can "refresh now" without error, but the new data from the database has not been included.

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mgrowan,

After you change "DirectQuery” to “import” mode, please remove your dataset in Power BI Service, then re-publish your PBIX file to Power BI Service, enter credential for your data source as shown in the following similar screenshot , set schedule refresh for your dataset. Then check if refresh works.

1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi @mgrowan

Would it not be now that you have set it to Import Mode that you have to configure the refresh from the Dataset under Settings?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ , under settings the schedule is set to hourly and the refresh history shows it has been successful each hour, but the data is still out of date. Is there somewhere else I should be setting it?

@mgrowan,

After you change "DirectQuery” to “import” mode, please remove your dataset in Power BI Service, then re-publish your PBIX file to Power BI Service, enter credential for your data source as shown in the following similar screenshot , set schedule refresh for your dataset. Then check if refresh works.

1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Perfect, thanks @v-yuezhe-msft!

After I delete the Data Set (report went too) and redeployed. I didn't need to reset credential, but set the daily scheduled refresh and all is updating.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors