Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobiasgrossmann

Data Set above one million with filter

Hi Community, 

I connected to an Azure hosted Database, the table I would like to built a report on has more then 1 mio entries. So I used a filter to restrict the result set. But seems like PowerBI Web-Based reporting still doesnt likes the requests and shows errors. 

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID8c498b87-466e-057e-7549-412f06e05217
Request IDff91b58a-1407-bba5-bf60-635cc0e2f776
Correlation IDca6221fa-eb91-6ff8-7e9c-71b041fb1eef
TimeMon May 22 2017 17:34:05 GMT+0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.2227

Thanks for your support. 

Regards,

Tobi 

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tobiasgrossmann,

Can you please share some detail content about your issue?

For example:
Datasource type.
Connect mode.
Create on service or desktop.

Operation steps.

If you create report at desktop, you can try to use Eno1978's solution to cut down the size or use the summary data as the visual source.

If you use direct query, you can take a look at below article about direct query limitation:

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

There is a 1 million row limit for returning data when using DirectQuery. This does not affect aggregations or calculations used to create the dataset returned using DirectQuery, only the rows returned. For example, you can aggregate 10 million rows with your query that runs on the data source, and accurately return the results of that aggregation to Power BI using DirectQuery as long as the data returned to Power BI is less than 1 million rows. If more than 1 million rows would be returned from DirectQuery, Power BI returns an error.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin ,

• Datasource type: Azure SQL Server
  • Connect mode: Direct Query
  • Create on service or desktop: PowerBI Cloud Version (not the desktop one)
  • Operation steps: Select a large table (over 3 Mio), add a Filter that sets the result-set to less then one mio, run and see the exception.

Now as I read that we even have the one mio restrictions on the desktop version in addition, swapping to this wont be a solution 😞 Is there any way to order a change for this from microsoft? Like paying more for that function?

Or shall we use alternatives to PowerBI? Anything available from Microsoft, preferable in the cloud to solve our Buisness-Case?

Regards,

Tobi

Hi @tobiasgrossmann,

If you try to cut down your datasource size(100~200) and test to publish again, Does this issue appears again?

If it appears, it means the issue not related to your data size, please double check other settings.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@tobiasgrossmann Where are you doing the filtering? I would assume Power BI, try building a view in the DB to return only the filtered result set.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors