Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TSHECKEL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Data Refreshes and DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services

How does one schedule a refresh for an external dataset within the "DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services" model?

We created a report off of a shared dataset and then added / imported another table. This creates a dataset unique to the shared report wihtin the service. How does one schedule a refresh of that data content? The service settings for this dataset does not have the schedule refresh option present. I also tested a refresh of the core datset and that did not trigger a refresh of shred reports dataset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahhh... open Optimize Performance. Scheduled Refresh has moved for DQ models in some tenants. See discussion here.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edhans
Super User
Super User

You don't. It is a live connection. When the source dataset refreshes, when you look at the report connected to it, it is up to date. A report connected to a dataset doesn't have its own dataset. It is using the dataset you are connected to. You could think of it as a normal report. You have the report and the dataset. The dataset needs to refresh. The "report" part does not. It is just up to date.

For models with the new composite model (Direct query over AAS/PowerBI) there is a dataset published, but it is a passthrough, or DirectQuery, so it too does not need to refresh.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks but I'm more so referring to an additional table that is added to the report. So, the report is feeding from a master datset yet we've also added an additional table from an outside source. This table resides in an import mode and sits alongside the direct query tables from the master dataset. The question is how does one update the imported table and data content?

Are you sure that other table is in import mode? It should allow refresh for any tables native/stored in the model.

TSHECKEL_0-1630690898393.png

TSHECKEL_0-1630691775065.png

Yes, it's residing in an import mode. It doesn't appear that there's a way to schedule a data refresh for this table within the service.  

Ahhh... open Optimize Performance. Scheduled Refresh has moved for DQ models in some tenants. See discussion here.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors