Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dean-Spooner
Frequent Visitor

Data Refresh

Hi All,

I have used the import data query on desktop BI from a SQL database. I have published the file and now I am looking to schedule a refresh of that data and therefore my bar chart. 

The chart is a visual of number of calls logged in the last 5 working days which works fine on desktop however when I come to schedule a refresh of the dataset the only options I have are "Weekley" or "Daily" I need this to run every hour or so in a working day and it doesn't really matter if it doesnt run through the night as its just a display for while people are at work 

Can someone please advise how i can get this dataset to refresh more frequently?

Thanks 

Dean 

refresh.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Dean-Spooner ,

You may refer to the links:

Dashboard tiles don't automatically update when updated report is published

Report visuals not updating

Refresh Report in TV Mode

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
criecher
Frequent Visitor

In your screenshot, where it says "Add another time" you can set multiple times for refreshes to happen.  You can set a refresh to occur up to every half hour.

Thanks Criecher,

I have scheduled the dataset refresh for the times I need which seems to now work fine. This doesn't seem to automatically update the report without me clicking refresh at the top? 

How do I set the report to refresh automatically at the same time so the data being displayed is accurate at the time of refreshing the dataset? 

Hi @Dean-Spooner ,

From the Microsoft Official document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#setting-a-refresh-schedule , we know:

>>Note also that the configured refresh time might not be the exact time when Power BI starts the next scheduled process. Power BI starts scheduled refreshes on a best effort basis. The target is to initiate the refresh within 15 minutes of the scheduled time slot, but a delay of up to one hour can occur if the service can't allocate the required resources sooner.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

thanks @v-xicai 

The dataset refresh works perfectly fine however the visual in the report does not update until i manually refresh in the report. Sorry I am quite new to all of this. For example the number of calls logged changes and the data refreshes but the visual does not change until i manually refresh the report? Or does this change when I create it in a dashboard? 

Is there a way for once the dataset has ran its refresh that the visual automatically updates as well? The bar chart does not seem to update until i press refresh as in the picture or should this actually change the visual automatically? 

Calls Logged2.PNG

I don't believe that's currently possible, as you're dealing with cached data.  The report would need to be refreshed to update the data in the cache, and update the visuals.  The October update has a preview feature which automatically refreshes a page, but only in Direct Query mode.

thanks @criecher 

The reason for it is that this is supposed to just be a display board with several reports being added to a dashboard. Are you saying that I will have to click refresh every time I want to see the latest data in the visual? 

It seems a bit silly to me that the dataset would refresh the data in the background but the report or dashboard wouldn't automatically reflect that data change in the graph? 

Any further thoughts? 

Dean 

Hi @Dean-Spooner ,

You may refer to the links:

Dashboard tiles don't automatically update when updated report is published

Report visuals not updating

Refresh Report in TV Mode

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors