Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samanthamirae
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Refresh on Power BI Online from Desktop Report/ SharePoint

Hello,

I have created a couple reports on PBI Desktop with data from a SharePoint List and Excel spreadsheet from a SharePoint Folder. I published the reports to the Power BI online app and want to schedule refresh.

I'm just wondering if I add something to my SharePoint List and schedule a refresh, will it not refresh straight to the Power BI Online app? For example, when I manually click refresh on my PBI Desktop, the new data gets inputted, but how am I able to have the new data inputted directly onto the online reports without having to manually click refresh on the PBI Desktop? Am I missing something? 

UPDATE: I guess my ultimate question is do Power BI online reports schedule a refresh and pull data from the SharePoint List or the Power BI Desktop?

Because I just successfully did a scheduled refresh but it only uploaded the new data that was manually refreshed on my PBI Desktop, rather than the new data from the SharePoint List that I added

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After scheduling it to refresh again, the new data has appeared. This is very strange. Before I thought I saw the new data, but it disappeared and now it has reappeared. I guess my problem is solved for the moment!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

In order for the refresh to work you will need to install and configure the On-Premise Data Gateway which will then enable you to refresh the data on a schedule in the Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert,

I did install the On-Premise Data Gateway (personal) but it says that "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all the data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for control over how you connect." 

If I enable it, it will refresh my data DIRECTLY from SharePoint Online List to Power BI Service? After some Googling, I read that the only way this is possible is by using Direct Query. Thoughts?

Thank you for helping

After scheduling it to refresh again, the new data has appeared. This is very strange. Before I thought I saw the new data, but it disappeared and now it has reappeared. I guess my problem is solved for the moment!

Ok glad it is working, and apologies as I had read that the data was coming from an Excel file which I thought was stored locally.

You are indeed correct that it should just be able to refresh.

I think when it does refresh give it a few minutes to actually process the data. Before refreshing to see if the new data is there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors