Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samanthamirae
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Refresh on Power BI Online from Desktop Report/ SharePoint

Hello,

I guess I'm just a little bit confused. I have created a couple reports on PBI Desktop from a SharePoint List and Excel spreadsheet from a SharePoint Folder. I published the reports to the Power BI online app and want to schedule refresh. I scheduled a refresh just to test it out and it failed.

I'm just wondering if I add something to my SharePoint List and schedule a refresh, will it not refresh on the Power BI Online app? When I manually click refresh on my PBI Desktop, the new data gets inputted, but how am I able to have the new data inputted onto the online reports? Am I missing something? 

The error message I received when I tried to schedule refresh was "Cannot connect to the mashup data source."

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @samanthamirae,

I think you are using sharepoint on premise, right?
If this is a case, you need to a gateway to handling refresh operation and configure datasource in power bi service site. (BTW, if your device enable any proxy settings, you also need to set up on gateway)

If not, have you enable any custom functions or merge/combine operations in your query? (power bi support to get multiple oauth authentication data sources at same time but you can't do merge or other operations on these datasource)

If above not help, please share more detail to help use clarify your scenario.

Reference links:

Data refresh in Power BI

On-premises data gateway

Configuring proxy settings for the On-premises data gateway

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Can you please check data source credentials in service weather access to sharepoint list and sharepoint folder accessable ?

if above thing is correct please install gateway for schedule refresh as 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors