Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dcohendumani
Regular Visitor

Data Refresh not working with Web data

I understand from a support article about data Refresh that Web is among the supported datasources for refresh.

I have a complex dashboard with 5 web datasources retrieving JSON data from REST web services with a lot of M transformation.

I can get the App to refresh manually or setup a schedule refresh

I get the following error.

Can you provide feedback/help?

Untitled.png

12 REPLIES 12
alex-potter
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I have run into that error with Web Queries when I try and either leverage parameters or reference other queries in the query set. So things like paginating, and dynamically generating your URLs wouldnt work.  

I'm not on the Power BI team, but I would assume they keep these kind of things from working because it could be a big resource hog if you are dynamically generating urls and the query never stops. 

Does that sound similar to what you are dealing with?

Alex 

Alex Potter
Lead Visualization Engineer
Luxoft Inc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm suprised Excel based Web data is not supported.

Capture.PNG

The M-code calls Excel.Workbook......

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.xls?chart_type=line&recession_bars=on&log_scal..."), null, true),

Anyone know if this is on the roadmap?

Awesome. Those two blog posts of Chris helped me find the solution:

a combo of relative path and passing along the parameter using Query.

After publishing the .pbix file, I had to set the credentials on the data set to Anonymous as well.

(I pass along an API key in the function itself)

Blog: sqlkover.com
Diego
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue.

Have anybody solved it?

anounou

Hi

I am experiencing the same issue. Has it been solved?

Nounou

I've experienced the same issue doing a function to query multiple SharePoint lists using the REST API. Per support on Thursday this week, service related issues should be logged via the Office 365 Admin Service Ticket interface. Only desktop related issues can be logged via the Desktop send a frown. 

I still don't have a resolution but am working with them on Monday. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Thanks!

--Treb

Treb Gatte, Power BI Red Carpet Partner | Microsoft MVP | Twitter | Blog | Blog 2

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@dcohendumani First check whether manula refresh in your source file works properly. If not there is no point in scheduling refresh. But if you are using REST then why to schedule refresh when its already getting LIVE real time data using your web service created ?

Manual refresh from within the powerbi app does not work. It says refreshing and it stops

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

If you used Power BI Desktop to publish the file, I would suggest trying out the below.

Use the browser  Get Data->Files->Local file and upload the .pbix file and then see if the schedule refesh page gives you option to specify the setting.

I tried this already but still no luck. Keep telling me that the data soruce does not support refresh. I think this may related to the complexity of M transformation in the data source. I am using some recursive function to query pages of dataset using REST. It refreshes fine in the Power BI Designer/Desktop or from Excel but not fro within the PowerBI app?

I have 5 queries in my pbix file, I am goint to try to isolate which of the query is causing the problem.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There have been a lot of issues with "supported" data refreshes not working. However they do appear to be getting fixed. I had an issue with SharePoint Online OAuth2 settings seemingly not saving but this was recently (like as of today) seemingly fixed. I currently have an issue where I can refresh a file that is local but not on a network share. Bizarre stuff. I recommend that you use the smiley face icon, give a rating (doesn't matter) and on the feedback form that is presented, take a screen shot of the error and report what you are trying to do. I get nice emails back from people like Kevin when I do this that follow-up on the matter.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors