Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SuperCal99
Helper I
Helper I

Data Refresh has suddenly stopped working

Hi,

Today i recieved a number of notifications that my reports have stopped refreshing automatically with the following message

"Data source error: Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh."

My data sourceconnection is a web URL, settings are anonymous with a privacy of none so no gateway required.

When i try to reconfigure the credentials as instructed, i recieve this message

"Failed to update data source credentials: Unable to connect to the remote server"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

10 REPLIES 10
SuperCal99
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks @GilbertQ for you response

Yes I can refresh ok via Desktop and also manually in the service.

Thanks again

Hi @SuperCal99 

Why do you think you don't need a Gateway? and how is possible that you can refresh it manualy in the service and not Automatically!

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi @aj1973 

Thanks for your response

Gateways arent needed if all the data sources are in the cloud? I hadnt set them up previously and it also states the following under gateway settings in the datset settings

You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect

Forgive me, its NOT working when I manually refresh the data in Service, but it is when in Desktop"refresh now" 

Thanks,

Callum

@SuperCal99 

Ok now is different when say that the refresh doesn't work in the service, was kinda confusing!

try to change the connection string from anonymous with a privacy to anonymous with Public

both in desktop and service

aj1973_0-1618489920997.png

I am sure it is the connection string.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi @aj1973 

Thanks for your response.

I have tried that but still no luck, very frustrating as it has been working fine until Tuesday, now all my reports which uses similar web content sources dont automatically refresh.

I have checked the credentials match both on desktop and in the service but when i select update i recieve the following

"Failed to update data source credentials: Unable to connect to the remote server"

@SuperCal99 

Could you please share with me one of these URLs that your report use? I wanna try it with my license.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 unfortunately I can't as it contains sensitive data. It's a web content source to a spreadsheet which when the URL is opened in a browser downloads a file.

Not sure why Its not allowing me to update the data source credentials. I've asked a colleague to see if he is receives the same error with the same data source

Hi @SuperCal99 

What happens if for the datasource you try the Skip Connection test?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ 

Still no luck with that

The other data sources I have in other reports seem to work ok, such as Google Analytics and an Excel spreadsheet in my business One Drive account.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @SuperCal99 

The error would indicate that your web source is no longer available.

What happens if you try and refresh it manually via PBI Desktop does it get the data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors