Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

F_Reh
Helper II
Helper II

Data Refresh for a SQL Server-based and Excel-based Dashboard ?

Hello,

I have a Dashboard (with multiple reports) which uses datasets from a MS SQL Server Database (on a particular Server over the network) and also some MS Excel Spreadsheets. What is the best way to set up a system to automatically and regularly refresh the Datasets of the various Reports?  Regarding the SQL-based Reports, the SQL Scripts for those are actually embedded in the Tables (within Power BI). Currently I have to manually refresh these Tables within Power BI itself by clicking on the Refresh Button at the top every time. I will also flag up that there is currently no Gateway installed.

I would appreciate some guidelines on the best way in constructing the regular Data refreshes for each of the SQL and Excel Reports in this Dashboard.

Regards

1 REPLY 1
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

For the SQL Server-based reports, you can use the DirectQuery or Live Connection feature in Power BI to connect to your SQL Server database and automatically refresh the data. To set up a schedule for data refresh, you can use the Power BI service and set up a schedule in the dataset settings. You will need to have a Power BI Premium or Power BI Report Server in place to take advantage of the DirectQuery or Live Connection feature.

For the Excel-based reports, you can use Power BI to import the data from the Excel spreadsheets. You can also set up a schedule for data refresh in the Power BI service by using the Get Data > SharePoint Folder > Power BI Service option in the Power BI Desktop. If your Excel spreadsheets are stored in SharePoint, you can use the Power BI Gateway to refresh the data automatically on a schedule.

You can also consider using Power BI Report Server to deploy your reports and schedule data refresh for both SQL Server-based and Excel-based reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors