Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Davurse
Helper I
Helper I

Data Refresh Storage and Traffic Concerns

I have a couple questions concerning the data refresh when connecting to an on-premise SQL server/DB. 

Once the report has been made and the Refresh Schedule has been set, how is the data refreshed and stored? How is the Power BI Service updating the data and where is it stored? For Example: if I have 10,000,000 records, does the PBI Service refresh all 10,000,000 records and then some if additional records have been added? If so, this brings me to my next main question...Will this/can this cause latency issues on the server do to a large amount of data traffic since Power BI is pulling a large amount of data from the Server/DB, and if so, is there any documention on best practices or does anyone have any advice when setting up these refreshes?

I apologize in advance if I've made any assumptions in my question. Please correct if I have misinterpretted anything. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If this is an on-premise database, then Power BI Service uses an on-premises gateway to perform the data load. Currently, Power BI does not have incremental load so all 10,000,000 records plus additional would be refreshed. If that original data never changes and latency is a concern what I would do would be to create a view in your database and 2 or 3 queries. Essentially, create one query that grabs all of your original data. Then, create a view that only shows new data. Create another query to grab that data from that view. Append the two queries. This way, you will only refresh a subset of your data and not all 10,000,000 records every time. 

You could also use Direct Query, which pulls the data real time instead of importing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If this is an on-premise database, then Power BI Service uses an on-premises gateway to perform the data load. Currently, Power BI does not have incremental load so all 10,000,000 records plus additional would be refreshed. If that original data never changes and latency is a concern what I would do would be to create a view in your database and 2 or 3 queries. Essentially, create one query that grabs all of your original data. Then, create a view that only shows new data. Create another query to grab that data from that view. Append the two queries. This way, you will only refresh a subset of your data and not all 10,000,000 records every time. 

You could also use Direct Query, which pulls the data real time instead of importing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks! Your explanation helps and answers my question. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors