Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vrossouw
Helper III
Helper III

Data Refresh One Drive for Business (Pro?)

Hi

Will data , connected to the One drive for business link, be automatically updated, without setting the scheduled refresh?

If I use the scheduled refresh function, my data turns into Pro content and my users can't access the file.

We have spent a lot of time changing the data to be in One drive, with the idea that users should not need licenses to view the dashboards.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vrossouw,

To import files from the OneDrive for Business in Power BI service, the OneDrive Refresh is enabled by default to refresh hourly. See: Package refresh.

To check whether the report contains pro features, please check this article: pro content. Please check if this dashboard contains visuals comes from another reports.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@vrossouw These scenario's can get muddy fast depending on what you are doing. What is the data source in the OneDrive location? Excel? Is it connected to anything on premises, how are you refreshing the files?

Most scenarios do not require a refresh to be scheduled, but you should be able to schedule a daily refresh... Anything over 1x would require a Pro license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer  The data in our One Drive for Business account are Excel "flat"files..  in other words not "live"data.

I found that as soon as I enable refresh (only once a day) and then go to the Share tab on my dashboard, a message appears which states that the dashboard contains Pro data.   If I disable the refresh, then the "Pro "message also disappear. 

I was under the impression that one refresh was allowed per day for free, but it seems as if this is not the case anymore?

In Power BI,  the data source is the web url,  connecting to my excel files in one drive.  Our business switched over to One Drive as a source as it was understood that you then don't need a Pro licence for refreshing through a On Premises Gateway.

I need the free option to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors