Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cnelson
Frequent Visitor

Data Refresh Error: The specified package is invalid. The main part is missing.

Hello, I am experiencing an error that I haven't experienced yet.

During a refresh in the PBI Service, I am receiving the below error:

Refresh error.png

The table is similar to any other table in the dataset, nothing unique about it. If I disable the table and disable the refresh for the table, the dataset refreshes correctly. If I refresh in PBI Desktop, the dataset refreshes fine. It is a large dataset and not sure if that would have any impact on this.

After doing some research I do not see any other sources about what this error message means or how to resolve it. 

Thanks for all your help!

7 REPLIES 7
themew
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was receiving the same error.  

The problem for me was my source file was saved as 'Strict Open XML Spreadsheet' format, not 'Excel Workbook' format. 

Both files are saved as a '.xlsx' format, so you wont easily realize its wrong, so I opened the source file in Excel, 'save as' and change the file type to 'Excel Workbook.xlsx'.  I was then asked if I wanted to replace the 'Strict Open XML' version, and I said yes.

This worked for me and my refreshes were back to normal. 

Thank you.It helped me 🙂

Vally888

This may have already been answered, but I was able to resolve this by removing word wrap on my column headers (row 1 for me) in Excel.   I have not tested whether other formatting causes the same error.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by removing word wrap? Can you please explain?

Word wrap is an option in the alignment section of the home ribbon.  It can also be found as the "wrap text" checkbox in the format cells dialog.  Select your header row and make sure this option/checkbox is unchecked.  

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cnelson,

What is your data source? What do you mean "disable the table and disable the refresh for the table"? Please update data gateway to the latest version for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yulgu-msft!

The data source is an excel spreadsheet located in a SharePoint document library.

What I mean't by "disable the table and disable the refresh for the table" was in power query disabling the load and disabling the refresh for the table. This shows that I was able to reduce the issue down to this specific table.

Data Gateway in not needed in this instance because it is a cloud storage location.

I haven't ran across this error before and am not sure what it means nor how to resolve it.

Thanks!

Carl Nelson

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors