Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Governance and Calculated Columns + Measures

I'm trying to understand the best strategy to employ around allowing developers to use a data set I publish in PowerBI while maintaining consistent data definitions accross my business.

In particular, I want to allow these developers to build reports with my data set, but I want to restrict them from creating their own calculated columns and measures. The thinking here is that I want to ensure that different developers aren't using their own definitions for the same calculations or groupings. I'd like to provide such calculations in the dataset itself and a set of measures that I can create and allow them to use.

What is the best way to go about this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous

As far as I know, Power BI launched last year "direct query for power bi datasets" function can be more perfect to suit your needs, you can write measures and calculated columns in the data model in advance, when developers use DQ connection mode to connect to your generated dataset, they only have use and read-only permissions for your measures and calculated columns, but do not have permission to modify again. They can develop their own reports by creating visuals with existing table models and measure aggregations, and after publishing to the service, the reports are also connected to your dataset.

For the prerequisites and some limitations of this function, you can refer to this document for details:

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous

As far as I know, Power BI launched last year "direct query for power bi datasets" function can be more perfect to suit your needs, you can write measures and calculated columns in the data model in advance, when developers use DQ connection mode to connect to your generated dataset, they only have use and read-only permissions for your measures and calculated columns, but do not have permission to modify again. They can develop their own reports by creating visuals with existing table models and measure aggregations, and after publishing to the service, the reports are also connected to your dataset.

For the prerequisites and some limitations of this function, you can refer to this document for details:

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Jamodio,
The prevent them from creating further calculations, you would need to set the permission to the dataset to Read only.

Tutu_in_YYC_1-1669068111258.png

If you give more than read, theres a possibility the developer can create more datasets (adding columns/tables/measures) based on your original dataset, this is called "Chaining"

For you to update more calculations or measuresm you can use ALM Toolkit to just publish the calculations.
http://alm-toolkit.com/

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

What you could do is to allow the users to create Power BI Reports in the Power BI Service?

This will allow them to get read-only access to the datasets. They will be able to use all the fields and measures, but not be able to create any new measures or calculated columns.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors