Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cymorg
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data Gateway update: Causes SQL Server error: An expression services limit has been reached

After updating my on-premesis data gateway one of my scheduled report refreshes is failing with a SQL Server error "An expression services limit has been reached".  That error typically indicates a SQL query is too complex.  The report refresh has been working without a problem for 18 months and immediately after applying the Oct. 2020 gateway update the error started to appear.  My previous gateway version was quite old (June 2019).

The report connects to SQL Server 2012.  The query (View0) is shown below .  The 3 underlying queries (View1, 2 & 3) are simple, they query another view (View4) which in turn each query another view (View5).  View5 does a union query on 2 other views (View6 & 7).  View6 is simple with only 1 table and a few filters.  View7 is complex, it queries 15 tables with multiple filters and case statements, some of which contain sub queries.

So, why would this suddenly cease working when the only thing that changed was the gateway version?  Microsoft recommend simplyfing the query but View0 works fine in SQL Management Studio - it is only PowerBI that can't complete the task.

View0

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY MONTHS_ON_LIST DESC) AS PLACE_ON_LIST, * FROM View1 UNION
SELECT (ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY MONTHS_ON_LIST DESC, PRIORITY ASC)) + 50000 AS PLACE_ON_LIST, * FROM View2 UNION
SELECT (ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY PRIORITY ASC, MONTHS_ON_LIST DESC)) + 90000 AS PLACE_ON_LIST, * FROM View3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cymorg
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had about 40 transformations applied to the data in PowerBI Desktop, mostly Replace() methods.  Reduce this to under 32 eliminates the problem.  So, whatever way Microsoft send the DAX to SQL Server seems to have changed between gateway versions.  I ended up moving all my Replace() methods out of PowerBI and into SQL Server and the problem is resolved. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cymorg
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had about 40 transformations applied to the data in PowerBI Desktop, mostly Replace() methods.  Reduce this to under 32 eliminates the problem.  So, whatever way Microsoft send the DAX to SQL Server seems to have changed between gateway versions.  I ended up moving all my Replace() methods out of PowerBI and into SQL Server and the problem is resolved. 

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cymorg ,

What's your version?Is it 3000.63.6?

Try to download the latest version via below link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

This error only started to happen after installing the latest version, 3000.63.6 (October 2020 (Release 2)).  It's disappointing that an "upgrade" would cause such a problem, it means I may have to revert to using temporary tables which is more work with no additional value.

Hi @cymorg ,

If so,I would  suggest you create a support ticket via below link and out relevant personnel will help to handle it.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors