Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

studz02
Employee
Employee

Data Gateway to on premise SQL Server Costs

Hello,

So I was working with a customer that stated they were using Power BI and connecting to onprem SQL through a gateway and it stopped working. They were told it was a license issue. Based on what I hear from them I believe its a problem with there datasource on the gateway where the creds don't have perms to the SQL server. Since I'm not a Power BI expert, I wanted to confirm if customers need to bump up their license to Power BI Premium to access data from their SQL server on prem. Their users all have Power BI Pro. Looking at this doc https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/#powerbi-comparison-table  it seems that might be the case based on the line item "On-premises reporting through Power BI Report Server". Clear as mud. 

Customer comments.

"

We had set it up several years ago and it worked fine but it stopped before our last engagement with you guys.

At that time we were told that we needed a license but we would be temporarily licensed.

That temporary fix has apparently ended.

We are looking for a permanent fix.  Now we see this. 

This report couldn’t access the data source.

I re ran it locally and it worked.

I published it and when I went online I got the error.

"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@studz02 - OK, first, you do not need Premium just to access data residing in an on-premises SQL Server database. Not now, not ever at any time. Maybe you need to update the gateway?

Premium grants you a license to run Power BI Report Server on premises. PBRS is kind of a sup'd up SSRS so it has nothing to do with retrieving data from SQL databases but rather displaying reports on-premises vs in the Service.

See my blog article: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/ba-p/1291304

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@studz02 - OK, first, you do not need Premium just to access data residing in an on-premises SQL Server database. Not now, not ever at any time. Maybe you need to update the gateway?

Premium grants you a license to run Power BI Report Server on premises. PBRS is kind of a sup'd up SSRS so it has nothing to do with retrieving data from SQL databases but rather displaying reports on-premises vs in the Service.

See my blog article: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/ba-p/1291304

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors