Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Data Gateway no longer available to other users

We have been using powerbi for aroud 18 months using the  pro licenses. we have have an on prem data gaetway set up that has been working brilliant for around 18 months.nAll the pbix we use have data loaded and refreshed via the gateway there is no direct query. We have a slightly strange network set up in that our company domain is not a trusted domain with the domain that contains our data but we worked around this and everything was working fine.

Around the 22nd August something changed on the web that has impacted the ability to select the data gateway against a dataset once deployed to the web. Now it appears only the user that set the gateway up on our gateway server initially has access to the gateway when setting up new reports or taking over schedules from another user. We used to have 4 logins enabled for this now we only have 1.

So now when I goto the dataset of a report to take over the schedule there is no available data gateway, even though I can go view the gateway and modify it and add new data sources.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

All of this has been working fine for 18months it's only the last  3 weeks it has failed lke this. Initially I presumed it was a network change at our end but that has all been checked and is ok. It seems something has changed on power bi. We are currently at a loss as of what to do.

workingschedule.PNGNoGateway.PNGGatewaySetup.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes we will upgrade our gateway however the issue was that my user had been updated. We have a slightly odd network setup so we have users replicated for 2 untrusted domains but the users are the same on each domain. When mine got out of synch they had to be amended and this somehow generated a new uid for my user I think (I am no network or AD expert as you can probably tell) when this amendment got replicated. Even though my username was exactly the same we had to remove my user from each dataset in the gateway on the web and then re-add it.

I can now see the gateway even on the old version of the gateway. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@gooranga1 Have you updated to the latest gateway? There have been several releases of newer gateways in the last 18 months... This would be the first step.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they dropped support for an older version of Encryption which the older gateways used.  @Seth_C_Bauer is right, you should try to upgrade your gateway as the version you might be using could no longer be supported.

Yes we will upgrade our gateway however the issue was that my user had been updated. We have a slightly odd network setup so we have users replicated for 2 untrusted domains but the users are the same on each domain. When mine got out of synch they had to be amended and this somehow generated a new uid for my user I think (I am no network or AD expert as you can probably tell) when this amendment got replicated. Even though my username was exactly the same we had to remove my user from each dataset in the gateway on the web and then re-add it.

I can now see the gateway even on the old version of the gateway. 

Hi @gooranga1,

Thanks for your sharing. So, you have found the cause and resolved the problem by yourself, right? If so, would you please kindly mark your sharing solution as an answer so that it can benefit more users?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors