Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Data Gateway - Live Connection

I've been reading up on the on-premises data gateways; I understand the implications for imported datasets, but I'm not quite sure on the implications of a live connection.

Let's say I have a dat source which is an SSAS tabular model - I add this as a data source in my gateway and add UserA to the data source.

When userB, who is just a report reader opens the report, will they be abe to utilise the gateway connection (despite not  being a user added to the data source) to access up-to-date data ?

I expect the answer to be yes, as I don't expect to have to add all report consumers to the gateway - that seems illogical, but I couldn't find anything online that confirms that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish 

"When userB, who is just a report reader opens the report, will they be abe to utilise the gateway connection (despite not  being a user added to the data source) to access up-to-date data ?"

->

When you(the builder of the report and the owner of the dataset)  configure the gateway and schedule correctly,

Once the data refreshes succefully,

Then the user who can only read instead of editing the report can see the up-to-date data,

desipit they can't access to gateway of yours.

Refer to the official document how to "manage your data source - Analysis Services with Gateway".

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish 

"When userB, who is just a report reader opens the report, will they be abe to utilise the gateway connection (despite not  being a user added to the data source) to access up-to-date data ?"

->

When you(the builder of the report and the owner of the dataset)  configure the gateway and schedule correctly,

Once the data refreshes succefully,

Then the user who can only read instead of editing the report can see the up-to-date data,

desipit they can't access to gateway of yours.

Refer to the official document how to "manage your data source - Analysis Services with Gateway".

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors