Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimplesHoT89
Frequent Visitor

Data Gateway Invalid connection credentials

Hi all,

I am trying to add a data source to my gateway. This datasource is a MySQL DB running in AWS. The refresh in PBI Desktop as well as with the personal gateway on my computer works without any issues. Now i sucessfully installed the gateway on a terminal server. However when i try to add the data source in the PBI service i receive the "invalid connection credentials" message, while using the exact same DB credentials i use for PBI Desktop as well as the MySQL workbench. I also checked the ports and tried to ping the DB from the terminal server, which was successfull as well.. what could i be missing here?

The data source cannot be created.
Invalid credentials for the connection.

Details:

S10 Power BI Data Gateway: the credentials provided for the "MySql" source are invalid. (Source at "XXX".)

thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SimplesHoT89
Frequent Visitor

I solved the issue myself. Somehow my DB User was allowed to connect to the data source directly via PBI Desktop and the MySQL Workbench but is not allowed to do this via the data gateway. So i assume there is any kind of remote role that wasnt activated which didnt allow the gateway to access this.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SimplesHoT89
Frequent Visitor

I solved the issue myself. Somehow my DB User was allowed to connect to the data source directly via PBI Desktop and the MySQL Workbench but is not allowed to do this via the data gateway. So i assume there is any kind of remote role that wasnt activated which didnt allow the gateway to access this.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @SimplesHoT89 ,

I am initially wondering about two possibilities.  First, do you have permissions to create a new connection in your Gateway settings?  Second, is the connection from the server different - as in, do you need to use a FQDN that you do not have to use on your personal machine?  (Or, you may have to enter the IP and not the name.)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi collinq,

thanks for the quick reply. As i installed the gateway myself and configured it in the service as well i have admin rights for this gateway. i also have the mysql workbench on that machine which lets me connect to the db without a problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors