Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

larryneal
Frequent Visitor

Data Gateway - Import and Direct Query Workspaces

I have two reports that have been published to the service. 

1) Invoice Report (using Direct Query)

2) Time Report (using Import)

These reports are published to two different workspaces. 

They both use the same database. A data gateway has been established is showing online and running within the service. 

The invoice report loads with refreshed data without any problems. The time report does not update. 

I have reviewed serveral post and tried to find the appropriate refresh options within the service for the dataset. The only options I see are related to cache refreshes not the actual import refresh. 

2020-03-25 11_00_01-Power BI.png

So, I guess my question, can you mix and match query types with the same data gateway?

Thanks in advance, 

Larry

11 REPLIES 11
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @larryneal ,

In Power BI, DirectQuery  and Live Connection use this Scheduled cache refresh method. You can refer this:

Datasets in DirectQuery/LiveConnect mode 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft 

I have reviewed this document several times. I have the refresh configured on both datasets yet the import set still does not update. 

Below are several screenshots from both datasets and their corresponding refresh settings. I've also included a screen shot of the history which shows that the process appears to be completing as expected. 

Refresh Settings -- Direct QueryRefresh Settings -- Direct QueryRefresh Settings -- ImportRefresh Settings -- Import

Cache refresh historyCache refresh history

Hi @larryneal ,

bbb10.PNGbbb9.PNG

Are you sure your Time report using import mode? If it's import mode, you can only use "Scheduled refresh" instead of "Scheduled cache refresh".

bbb11.PNG

--Import mode

Maybe you use the same connection mode for the same data source, so the gateway only updates a connection.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lionel-msft thanks, the scheduled refresh is missing from my dataset options within the service configuration. 

I went through all of the tables within the report and they all have the following setting. 

2020-04-01 07_41_10-Window.png

Additionally when using the data view I have data in each of the tables in the report. 

I'm not sure how else to verify or change any settings within the report. But the missing "Scheduled Refresh" is my problem. 

Larry

Something does not look right, if it is import mode you should get those options.

How big is the PBIX?

And what if you upload it to another App Workspace do you get the same issues?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

99.1MB. 

I did try yesterday to create and publish to a new workspace. This had no change Schedule Refresh still does not appear. 

I also even tried deleting the previous workspace with no change. 

Hi @larryneal ,

You import another data source and try again, if there is still no scheduled refresh, please create support ticket .

If other data sources can use scheduled refresh, then the problem may be with your current data source or data model.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

I started going through two reports with a fine tooth comb. 

This problem report (time) has a Date table that I used a function to generate. This table is used to create a relationship for fiscal years. 

If I open the Power Query editor there are no errors on this table or the query used to create the table. 

Does this shed any light on what might be the issue?

Hi @larryneal ,

Has your problem been solved?

I did like you said (creating a calculated table), but I still did not reproduce your problem.

What's your Power BI Service version? Maybe because of Power BI Service😂.

Did you try using this data source to recreate a report and test the problem?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You certainly can from your screenshot the dataset called TimeReview2 is using DirectQuery or LiveConnection because it has not go the option for scheduled refresh?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ 

The TimeReview2 dataset is for the time report, this is the dataset that is not updating and the report is configured with import method. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors