Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RGI
Helper III
Helper III

Data Flow connect to on-premise Teradata Source

I can successfully connect to various data sources to create a data flow.

When I attempt to connect to Teradata I get the following message:

The evaluation could not be finished: Evaluation was cancelled, message: (Session ID: 44fcee91-d9d2-44b5-b1c1-443f061e6a0e)

The Teradata server is on-premise and I'm using my on-prem gateway. The same gateway is used to access various databases  (e.g.  MSSQL and Teradata) without a problem. So as far as I know the gateway is fine.

It's when I attempt to connect to the Teradata source via my gateway when building a data flow that I run into problems.

Can it be done?

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I was hopeful when I saw the January update announcement for Dataflows (especially since the Teradata connector is specifically called out), however this error still persists.

I can't even connect trying to use a blank query:

2019-01-23_09h53_37.png

2019-01-23_09h54_53.png

I've selected my gateway and entered credentials but it just keeps popping back to "please specify how to connect".

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Same issue for me.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RGI,

How did you create dataflow entity query? Can you please share more about these?
BTW, current dataflow seems not support custom functions and advanced operations in queries.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

These are the steps I take:

Choose the workspace

Click Create

Click Dataflow

Click Add New Entities

Click Teradata database

Enter server, gateway and authentication details

Click Next

Data Flow Step 1.pngData Flow Step 2.pngData Flow Step 3.pngData Flow Step 4.png

HI @RGI,

Did this issue only appears on teradata datasource? Have you use same authorization mode and corresponded credentials on it?

In addition, you can also try to store this datasource as CDS-A entity, then get data from that entity if it works.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

We only have a problem with Teradata (on-premise). MSSQL (on-premise) data sources are fine. We can connect to several MSSQL servers through the gateway, but not to Teradata.

Credentials are correct. We've checked and double-checked several times.

We have not tried CDS-A. I wanted to keep it simple - if possible doing everything via the PowerBI framework.

Initially I just want to know if this is a bug, and if so when/if it will be fixed.

HI @RGI,

I try to search for similar issue on Internet and find one similar issue. It seems like operation timeout so power bi cancel to create data flow entities.

Can you please refer to suggestion to reduce your data amount and try again?

Dataflows - Evaluation was canceled

Hi Xiaoxin

The problem is I'm not getting that far - I am not able to perform an initial "connection" to Teradata in order to choose a database followed by table/view.

Hi @RGI,

Maybe you can try to submit a support ticket for this issue, I think this issue should more related to dataflow itself.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors