Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agarwal137
Frequent Visitor

Data Flow Incremental Refresh issue on a Weekly Updated Table

Hi there.

I would very much appreciate some guidance on this issue - 

I am trying to create a DataFlow in PowerBI service, with incremental refresh from SQL Server database of a table which updates with a new set of data everyweek. Data table loads fine into PQ online when I connect it for the first time but when I try to run it after enabling the Incremental refresh, the update fails. Any idea what am I missing?
Here are the info and checks done - Weekly data 100k rows, Premium per user Trial mode, Gateway connection configured and running fine and  Privacy level set to Organisational and below is the error message. Please note that the incremental refresh is based on a 'ReportDate' column which carries the Reporting week Date stamp for all rows in table and changes every week.

There was a problem refreshing your dataflow. {"RootActivityId":"14467eb1-2df9-1212-95d8-8c2df798650d", ErrorMessage:"Encountered user gateway exception: '[DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode]=-2147467259 [DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult]=-2147467259 [Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Class]=20 [Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind]=SQL [Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.ErrorCode]=-2146232060 [[Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Number]=-1 [Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason]=DataSource.Error [InnerType]=MashupValueException Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) [GatewayPipelineErrorCode]=DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError [ErrorShortName]=GatewayClientErrorResponseException[GatewayId=1021468]/MashupDataAccessValueException[ErrorCode=-2147467259, HResult=-2147467259]/Wrapped(MashupValueException)[ErrorCode=-2147467259, HResult=-2147467259] [ExceptionErrorShortName]=GatewayClientErrorResponseException[GatewayId=1021468]'"}

agarwal137_0-1612553622919.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agarwal137 ,

If you have configure the gateway well? Did the manually refresh work well? It seems to be connection with sql server. First, please check the following link: https://sqlbak.com/blog/sql-network-interfaces-error-26-error-locating-serverinstance-specified

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

So your SQL server network connection is wobbly?  Maybe you want to fix that first.

Initially, I thought that too but the query runs in like 5 mins on MS SQL studio whereas in Datafow, it goes on like forever. Internet conenction is also fine. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"after enabling the Incremental refresh, the update fails. Any idea what am I missing?"

You forgot to include the failure details. You could be running into a query timeout, you could run out of space, or it could be something else. Please provide more details. 

@lbendlin  Thanks you taking a look at the query. I have updated the details. Please let me know if anything else is needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors