Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Colours change in Power BI Service

Hi,

I find my a particular bar graph in my Power BI desktop has the data colour as Blue. After publishing to the service, the data colour changes to maroon. Tried everything.. doesn't seem to remain blue. How to fix this? Is there a bug?

Thanks,

Aasheesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous, @v-shex-msft,

I used a work around by adding multiple values and then changing the default colour to the colour i wanted and then removing the multiple values. It works.

Thanks for all your inputs.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use sample data and set a color once you set the color remove the sample data and when the original data shows up you will be seeing the color which you set for the sample data. It will remain the same even after publishing.

Recently had a flash back of the changing color issue in the service also, however this time it was just for a single report, so I suspect that report had either been altered at some point or perhaps had used an older version of Pbi desktop. All other reports that use the same theme was working fine... Reapplying the custom theme and publishing again fixed all visuals....

This worked for me, ....clicked on another theme, back to my custom theme, republished.... and solved!! Colours correct in the Service

Thanks for sharing

denveroed
Advocate I
Advocate I

This bug seems to be back and it's killing me! 

My bar chart and pie chart colors change when I publish to the web, and my image file is missing completely. 

Help!!!

I had the same issue with custom colours set in the Desktop then changing upon publishing to the service. I am pretty sure I used Format Painter to apply the colours to a new visual from an exisiting one with the correct pallette, so I think this was the cause in my case.

My fix was to go into each colour and open the custom colour dialogue, delete the last character of the hex string and then immediatly replace it (tricked it into thinking there was a colour change) and hit enter. Had to do this for each colour in each new visual but it stuck upon publishing to the service.

Cheers

Gavin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like it works. Thank you!

That worked fine for me, thanks. That bug was driving me nuts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to say that the trick of "changing" the last char of the color code worked for me (for now).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had this same issue - very annoying because my end user needed to notify me about many of my custom colours changing to yellow, making my report unreadable! Retyping the last digit of the colour code fixed it, for the colours that autochanged in the service. This is an embarrassing error, and I hope it can be fixed soon.

I do see similar issue when I publish the report. I have pie chart and clustered bar chart with multiple values, I manually edited the color in clustered bar chart to sync with pie chart. Once I deploy this report these changes are gone. This there any work around for this issue?

I'm also having a similar issue. I have a line chart with 8 lines. Each line is a unique color. Once the report is published the chart color formatting is changed and two of the 8 lines are the same color. The chart reverts back to the desired color formatting from my power bi desktop file after refreshing the browser. It would be much more convinient if I didn't have to tell my end users they need to refresh their browser upon opening my report. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can reproduce and confirm this issue occurs when published with one value.

As an additional issue it is now also not possible to use a color other than the standard color (with a single value) in Power BI desktop with the latest update (May 2017).

I have created a workaround by adding a dummy value in order to use more than one value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous, @v-shex-msft,

I used a work around by adding multiple values and then changing the default colour to the colour i wanted and then removing the multiple values. It works.

Thanks for all your inputs.

hitzand
Advocate II
Advocate II

I created an issue about this yesterday.  There seems to be a bug in the service.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Which visual you use? Can you share some detail content about this issue?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-shex-msft,

I am using a normal stacked column chart. the second visualisation icon in the power bi desktop.

The column is coloured in blue (colour code - 008AFF) in my power BI desktop.. but when i publish it to power BI Service the same column changes to maroon with the same colour code.

Hi @Anonymous,

I can't reproduce your issue, it works on my side.(the custom color not changed, other color has changed)

ServiceServiceDesktopDesktop

Which version of power bi desktop you used? If you re-publish a report with sample content, does this issue appears again?

My test environment: Win10 64bit, power bi Version: 2.45.4704.442 64-bit (April 2017).

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin Sheng

looks like this problem still exists. Do you know what is the best workaround please?

thank you 

@v-shex-msft Try it with bars that have only a single color/value. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors