cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCKERY Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Data Alerts with DirectQuery and Microsoft Flow

Hello,

I have a DirectQuery exceptions report that measure large stock adjustments in a manufacturing setting. It successfully reports and measures the number of these exceptions. I can use the Card as a tile on a Dashboard, and have been researching alerts using Microsoft Flow.

How does DirectQuery interact with Data Alerts? Will the alert trigger when the Dashboard Tile is refreshed as per my settings in Scheduled cache refresh? How can I get PowerBI to report new anomolies as they occur (or as close as possible)?

Thank you in advance,

MCKery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MCKERY Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Data Alerts with DirectQuery and Microsoft Flow

@v-danhe-msft ,

I do not believe that is fully what I meant, but I think I have found the solution myself through testing. I think "static data" is pretty ambiguous in the context of PowerBI...

If a report in "import" mode is set to refresh on a schedule, the dashboard also appears to refresh when that dataset refreshes. For a dashboard tile driven by "DirectQuery" data, you can adjust "scheduled cache refresh" which seems to drive the dashboard tile refresh.

Thank you for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MCKERY ,

Based on my research, alerts only work on data that is refreshed. They do not work on static data:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-set-data-alerts#tips-and-troubleshooting

So if you have set an alert for your dashboard with direct query mode, you could set the schedule refresh for your dataset and it will refresh automatically and trigger the alert.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
MCKERY Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@v-danhe-msft ,

I do not believe that is fully what I meant, but I think I have found the solution myself through testing. I think "static data" is pretty ambiguous in the context of PowerBI...

If a report in "import" mode is set to refresh on a schedule, the dashboard also appears to refresh when that dataset refreshes. For a dashboard tile driven by "DirectQuery" data, you can adjust "scheduled cache refresh" which seems to drive the dashboard tile refresh.

Thank you for your help!