Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kk0036
Helper I
Helper I

Data Alerts with B2B Users

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some information regarding external B2B users and the data alert system in power bi. I know that external users can subscribe to data and manage alerts, but the links provided do not take them to the right place since they are technically outside of the organization. I need this to keep RLS in mind as well so that they can subscribe to just the data that pertains to them. Are there any known workarounds or changes that can be made in Azure AD to allow them to receive working links?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @kk0036

Please check the consideration and limitations 

Subscribe to a Power BI report or dashboard

• If you share a dashboard with a colleague outside of your tenant, you will not be able to also create a subscription for that colleague. So if you are aaron@xyz.com, you can share with anyone@ABC.com, but you cannot yet subscribe anyone@ABC.com and they cannot subscribe to shared content.
  • You can't subscribe other users to a report that has row level security (RLS) applied

Best Regards

Maggie

I knew that it was a limitation of the software. You could technically run flows for every single data element that you wanted to alert people to and send the actual dashboard link or app link as a workaround. I guess I was more looking for ideas, not an answer inside of power bi's subscription service. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am currently aware this is a bit of a limitation due to the users being guests in your Azure AD.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors