Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MrFahrenheit
Helper I
Helper I

Data Alert Sent With No New Data

I have a data alert set-up which activates when the number in a datacard is greater than zero (0). 

The issue I'm having is that alerts are being sent when the data has not changed. 

For example, the datacard might change from zero (0) to one (1) and an alert will be sent (which is expected). Two hours later another alert will be sent but the number is still at one (1) and nothing has changed in the underlying data. 

Either the "Alert" system doesn't work properly OR I don't understand it properly.

The alert set-up screen says "Alerts are only sent if the data changes" - That means to me that an alert will be sent when it hits "1" but will not send again unless it hits another number like 2 or 3. As long as it stays at "1" there should be only one alert. 

If someone from Microsoft can confirm exactly how this works I'd appreciate it. 

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

My understanding is that you set the data alert for anything greater than zero.

Each hour when the data alert runs, it will look and if the value is greater than zero it sends the alert.

In your example this is working as expected. Currently it is not smart enough to view the previous alert sent was 1, so use this as the basis for the next alert. It defaults back to the setting for the data alert which is greater than zero.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  - Thank you for the reply. 

The instruction says that a data alert will only be sent if the data changes which, if taken literally, means that it will send one alert when the data gets to 1 (which is expected) and will only send another alert if it changes to 2 or 3 or whatever. If what you are saying is true, that it will send an alert when the number is at 1 over and over again at each refresh, then the Microsoft instructions are incorrect. 

And, to be clear, there are times when the number is greater than zero and only one alert is sent even though the number stays at 1 for many refreshes. 

Hi there

The documentation can indeed be confusing.

And that is the way I read it in that it will not automatically increment the value and then send it if it increases.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors