Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drogers618
Regular Visitor

Dashboards tiles not refreshing while other dashboard tiles from the same report are refreshing

We have a dashboard where we have pinned 4 or 5 tiles from the same report and same data model.  For some reason, certain tiles that have been pinned to the dashboard refresh flawlessly all the time while there are some that will maybe refresh one time after we pin it to the dashboard and then will never refresh again.  We have tried deleting the tile from the dashboard and repinning it and when we do it will refresh once or twice and then stop again.  I am not sure what to do because it is coming from the same report and data model as the other tiles which are working just fine.    Any thoughts? 

11 REPLIES 11
amerriwether
Frequent Visitor

drogers618, Was this issues ever resolved?  I can't seem to get this functionality to work...no matter what I do.  This problem defeats the whole purpose of having a dashboard and is definitely a deal breaker.

No, we are still having this problem.  In fact, we are now having an issue where some of our datasets which are connected to files in OneDrive are not refreshing.  We did not change anything to the reports/datasets, nor to the files on OneDrive, so why some are refreshing and others don't is beyond me.  Very frustrating as the experience is inconsistent and unreliable.  Not sure if we can continue using this product. 

On a separate note regarding your second post, my understanding is that dashboard tiles are static when you pin them to the dashboard.  In other words, if you pin a tile from a report to a dashboard, and then later use a slicer in the underlying report to modify the data in that tile, it is not going to refresh the tile on the dashboard with that new view created by that slicer.  

Thank you for your post.  If the Tile pinned from the dashboard is static, it is not a dashboard.  Every dashboard that I have ever seen in my life refreshes.  If a dashboard is static it is worthless.  How would you navigate and monitor your car if the dashboard was stativc and reflected information set at the time the car was built?  Micfrosoft keeps saying that this is by design. They are not understanding the issue or they just refuse utright to fix this.  I have well over 200 companies that have created dashboards for thier thousands of users and all of them are screaming at me because the tiles do not refresh.  If I would have known about this bug that they refuse to fix, I would never have sold this product.  I am not going to let this go.  Even their supposed workaround which is...Pin the live page as adashboard, DOES NOTWROK.  Even if the work aroubd worked, I'd have to tell thousands of my users to do this work around.  That is insane.  I am at my wits end with this garbage.  Thank you.  

Ok...Here arethe facts.  Changing the slicer values in the Report will not translate in a change to the Dashboard Tile value, but if no change is made to the slicer value that was in effect at the time the tile was pinned, but the underlying data changes in the report, the value of the tile does, in fact, change to reflect underlying data changes.   I've tested this thoroughly and this is the case...so the dashboard tiles do have value and they do update.  Whew.  I'm good with this functionality and now I can accurately explain it properly to my customers.

For me this issue is solved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry for bothering you . i have question here i have a tile where i chnaged the measure in tile . Will my tile pinned to the dashboard will show the new measure which i have changed automatically or should i need to delete the tile and pin the tile with new measure.can you help here if you faced this scenerio?

I created 20 reports and published all 20 to the power bi pro service.  I then went to my pro service where my reports were successfully published.  I then opened a report and pinned the CARD tiles to a new dashboard successfully. I then click on a tile in the dashboard which took me to the underlying report.  From the report I select a different value in the account slicer which changes the value in the CARD on the report.  When I go back to the Dashboard the values in the CARDs pinned to the dashboard have not updated.  I also tried pinning the entire report as a new dashboard and then pinning the CARD Tiles from this pinned report to a dasboard and the tiles in the dashboard sftill do not refresh.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might just look over the contents of this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#tile-refresh

I don't know if it will help.

Richard,  Thank you for trying to assist me.  I have received an email from Microsoft after opening a support ticket and they have assigned an engineer to look at the issue.  The link you provided does not correct the problem.  This is an issue that Microsoft has been aware of since 2015 and has never corrected.  This known bug renders Dashboard useless.   As a Microsoft Partner I find this failure to correct after years of knowing unacceptable.  I will update this post with Microsofts response.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

@drogers618,

Did you pin individual visual or entire report page? From what I understand, only when you pin a report page, you will have the pin live option, otherwise, if you pin each visual separately, pinning is static. Please correct me if I am wrong

I pinned each of the tiles individually from the report.  Some of those will refresh regularly and some do not.  I am not sure what is the difference between the two as they are in the same report and same data source.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@drogers618,

I found this note from the this link, I am not sure it will help or not, but it is worth to take a look.

"If the original visualization used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change. For example, if you pinned a line chart from a report and then you changed the line chart to a bar chart, the dashboard tile continues to show a line chart. The data refreshes, but the visualization type does not."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors