Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

malikirfan28
Helper II
Helper II

Dashboards not uploading nor displaying

Dear Experts,

We were using Power BI Embedding using Azure Workspace Collection  which we are migrating to new Power BI with Capacity flow. We have about 400 dashboards and after setting up everything on Azure side, I subscribed Power BI Server (app.powerbi.com) as trial  and start uploading dashboards into App Workspace. All Dashboards are using "Import" data (no direct query). After uploading couple of dashboards, I tried to upload one big dashboard (1.1 GB in size). In Azure Workspace collections we were not able to uploadin this big dashboard (so I was testing it here.

Anyhow I recieved error when uploading this big dashboad that some Internal Server error occured so tried again after some time. After this error, I am neither able to view (already uploaded) dashboards nor able to upload any new dashboard in App Workspace. 

When try to view any dashboard then getting following error

Unable to load the model

I deleted all uploaded dashboards and all datasets and even deleted "App workspace" and created new Workspace. But still I am not able to upload dashboard in new workspace and getting following error

I am not sure, what went wrong and how can I fix it. Please need your expert openion. 

Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Just to clarify, when you created your App Workspace and assigned it to Premium, is this using the Azure SKU to assign it to the premium workspace?

Or did you apply it after purchasing Power BI Premium?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi  @GilbertQ,

We configured AD tenant in Azure and created user. Configure Power BI App in Azure and grant permission. After that we register on Power BI Service and join Pro Licenses as Trial for now. When I go to Edit Workspace page, then I can see that SKU Capacity is enabled here which we setup in Azure.

Please confirm, how else I can verify. I have also mentioned before that 10-15 dashboards were uploaded successfully initially however error start occuring once I try  to upload big dashboard (more than 1GB size). Our all dashboards are using IMPORT data feature and we didn't configure any Data Gateway or any such functionality yet.

Thank you.

Now when I am trying to upload new Dashboard File, error message has been changed but no file is uploading.

new.png

Hi there,

It is my understanding that the A SKU is for Power BI embedding scenarios.

It appears that you have used the A SKU to use it within the Power BI service, which would then appear to be against the license terms. And possibly this gap has now been fixed. Hence you are now getting the errors.

Here is a link to what the Power BI A SKU is https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-embedded-capacity-based-skus-coming-to-azure/

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

I am sorry, I coud not understand your message and neither given link context clearly. We are trying to use Power BI Embedded and we followed all required steps.

1. Azure AD Tenant
  2. Created User under this AD
  3. Created Application and grant permission
  4. Added Capacity (power BI resource) in Azure
  5. Register online Power BI Service and created App Workspace 

Please highlight the point which we did wrong OR please add any extra point which we will have to follow. 

Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

That sounds like the right way.

The only thing is that you have to embed your Power BI App Workspace into an application. You cannot let users use this App Workspace from the Power BI service.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thank you for quick response. Yes I am embedding dashboard into my application and not letting any user to use Power BI Service. However I believe, I will have to upload dashboards first into App Workspace which I will embed into application. Right?

Please note as I am migrating from Azure Workspace Collection to this new Capacity based environment so I downloaded all my dashboard from Workspace Collection and now I am uploading it to App Workspae.

If its not a correct way to upload dashboards then please guide proper way. Thank you once again. 

Hi there

Thanks for the clarification.

It does appear that you are on the right track.

If you are still getting the error above I would suggest logging a support ticket.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

Can a Pro Trial user also submit Support Request or we need a valid Professional subscription? 

Moreover I would like to share that whenever my AppWorkspace is associated with Premium Capacity, I am neither able to view any uploaded dashboard in PowerBI Service (even not in my custom application where I am embedding) nor upload any new dashboard in PowwerBI Service. (Same error as above) 

Untitled.png

However if I switch off dedicated capacity in Edit Workspace, following prompt come.

Untitled.png

If I press "Remove from Premium" button then everything start working and I can also uploads new Dashboard.

Have we enabled a wrong capacity at Azure side? Any expert comments on this behaviour? 

Thanks,

Hi there

From what I can understand you should be able to view the dashboards and upload etc.

In terms of contacting Support as far as I know you have to have a current Pro Subscription to contact them.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors