Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vsagan
Frequent Visitor

Dashboards in groups sharing with non-pro users

As of yesterday all of our dashboards in groups which were shared directly with other non-pro users are no longer accessible by non-pro users.

Is this intentional?

7 REPLIES 7

@vsagan Yes. This post explains certain areas where the messaging was un-clear. You could also read that as "There were some areas where the tool was allowing Pro to Non-Pro features to be shared, we have now fixed those issues and PBI is now behaving the way it should based on how we are licensing the product."

A Group Workspace is a Pro feature, as such, all end users need a Pro license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I've looked through documentation prior to Dec 2016 using internet archiving and there is NO mention of requiring pro to share dashboards in groups with users outside the group, only that a user needs pro to be in a group.

Review of any webpage documentation around this that has been updated since has only since added this requirement.  A change in documentation and function llike this is not a 'fix' but a major licencing change.  

If previous documentation existed which explicitly said 'Dashboards in groups can only be shared with pro users' then this would be a fix.  I have not been able to find such documenation.

Groups are a major organisational requirement for workflow, but are dashboards are then shared with 1000's of people which no longer works.

@vsagan I understand this is an impact for you and your organization, but it has been very clear from the begining that any "Pro" feature used in the creation or distribution of Reports/Dashboards will require the end user to also have a Pro license. The argument that "it worked" isn't really grounds to say that it still should, the licensing hasn't changed, the enforcement of the licensing did. The licensing page has always had the entirety of "collaboration" under the "Pro" license only. I can understand the frustration of not finding an explicit answer up front, but there have been many posts and discussions from day one on this Community outlining how "Pro" worked.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your reply Eno.

I will mention again that the documentation prior to 6 Jan 2017 did not mention this requirement.  As of 6 Jan 2017, the documentation changed to specify this requirement.

@vsagan I'm not arguing that, I would say that all the documentation in general does not cover every planned use case scenario. I am saying however, that it was general knowledge, or easily found on the pricing page, this Community site and other areas outlining that use of a "Pro" feature would require end users to have a "Pro" license.

Thanks Eno.

Based on the multitude of posts from other users, plus Microsoft's need to update the documentation, others feel differently.

Goddamnit, are you saying I've wasted months of research and implementation of a poc?! This sharing functionality was one of the core needs. I dont want users who view a dashboard once a month to buy a pro license and I require the groups so I won't reach the datalimit. FFS..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors